All Stars

My first fussy cut star ready for applique
I've been very disciplined with wrapping up UFOs from 2012 and earlier.  And after finishing 3 UFOs in 3 weeks, I decided it was time to start a new project!  I purchased a fun new template to create 5-point applique stars.

I pulled out some fun fabrics that had symmetrical designs that could be fussy cut to create radiating stars.  Using hinged mirrors, I was able to get a preview, but the finished star was even more awesome!!!  Using a half yard of fabric, I was able to create 4 different sized stars, leaving swiss cheese behind!

Escargot quitling close up




Once the stars were appliqued on, I was ready for some FMQing.  I knew I wanted to try Leah Day's escargot motif, but I had hoped to create some shooting star effects.  But the swirls were very addicting and I just couldn't work out the shooting star effect.  But I still love the escargot look and it was great practice.

I also wanted to quilt some details in each of the stars using Superior Threads glitter thread.  I had some difficulties with tension as the thread kept snapping, which was super frustrating.  But despite the tension woes, I love the spark effect created.

Starry Close Ups

Here are some pics of the backing and close up of the quilting from the back.  These stars are lots of fun and I have a stack of fabrics that are all contenders for more starry quilts...stay tuned.  Until then, here are pics of the finished mini quilt...

And the big reveal...
All stars--Skippy freshly groomed!!

Comments