Fluttering in the Wind-Butterfly One Block Wonder

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was so excited about my One Block Wonder quilt class that I worked on a second OBW quilt using a beautiful butterfly motif fabric.  I stacked, cut triangles and assembled half hexies for two different quilts as part of my homework in preparation for the second class where we laid out the quilt design.









It took a while to assemble all the rows and columns, and then to figure out borders.  I visited a local quilt shop in search of border fabrics.  The first time around, I found a beautiful cobalt blue for an inner border...but nothing for a larger spinning border.  On my second tour, I found the most amazing fabric, I have no idea how I missed it on my first pass by?!?  It contained all the colors and even the white dots on black seen on several of the butterfly wings.  Simply perfect!



















I duplicated the same quilt motif from the Koi OBW...which I still love!  And because I had already developed the muscle memory, the quilting went super fast for this quilt--just a few sessions to cover each seam.





 


For the backing, I had quite a bit of yardage of this large flower fabric.  It was originally purchased from Joann's but is extremely soft and has a lovely drape.  My mother sent me a bunch of her fabrics and she too had quite a bit of yardage of the same fabric, plenty to create a full backing.





And for the final reveal of my Butterfly OBW...







Comments