CYMK Interleave

My Intriguing Interleaves quilting workshop has received a number of teaching invitations which is exciting.  In preparation, I've shipped out four of my Interleave quilt samples to help promote workshop sign ups.  So it is time to whip up a brand new Intriguing Interleave quilt!!

For this quilt, I chose high contrast in CYMK colors:  Cyan, Yellow, Magenta and 3 different values of Black.  All the colors are a tone on tone grid/cross hatch patterned print, whereas the black and white prints are all small dots.
CYMK Fabrics and Pattern
I always have to remind quilters in my workshops that the hardest part of these quilts is usually waiting for the design to emerge.  With these high contrast colors/prints, the design really pops!!

As I was adding my black and white strip binding, I noticed that the orientation of the quilt really led my eyes to recognize different patterns and shapes.  Hmmmm...do I prefer the horizontal or vertical orientation?
Which Orientation Do You Find More Intriguing?:  Horizontal (left) or Vertical (right)
Unable to decide, I placed it on a wonky angle and took a few more pics.  Years ago we tackled a volunteer painting project in the backyard using yellow and turquoise paint.  I love how the paint splotches on the concrete match perfectly to create a fun backdrop for my new CYMK Interleave quilt!!
"CYMK Interleave," 17"x17"
I hope you can join the fun!  Be sure to check out my teaching calendar for upcoming workshops and lectures near you!!

Comments

  1. I love those colors! It also looks like the cyan is darker in the areas surrounded by the dark background. For your class that is a great example of the relativity of color. I have yet to make an interleave. That is on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie! I've been wanting to create a quilt in CYMK colors for almost a year now...they are just sooo much fun! And it is just sooo much fun seeing the colors/values interact within the Interleave design!!

      Delete
  2. I love it. Is it your own technique?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yanicka! Lorrie Cranor developed Interleave quilts as part of her sabbatical as a computer science professor--so she uses specific wave/curve shapes that are based in math/science. Caryl Bryer Fallert, Ricky Tims, Louisa Smith and a few other artists have developed similar concepts/designs where you slice up and alternate between two different quilt tops to create some really exciting interactions.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if you could help me how to make the interleave quilts. I know I have seen Lorrie Cranor´s tutorial before, but now I only get "database error" when I try to find it. A friend of mine wants one of these so badly, and I had promised to make her one. I would be very greatful for any help with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Inger--I am not sure where you create--but I have several Intriguing Interleaves workshops scheduled in California and NV (posted on my website www.melbeachquilts.com/schedule/)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!