The Quilt Show Part 2: Colorado Springs

As I was preparing for my Colorado visit for the TQS taping, I reached out to a fellow quilting friend who lives in Colorado Springs.  Pauline and I met last Spring at Empty Spools in Louisa Smith's Double Vision 5-day workshop and have stayed in touch via Facebook.  When she learned of my upcoming visit, she generously invited me to stay with her and her family.  

I had so much fun catching up with Pauline and seeing firsthand the beautiful Colorado Springs mountain vistas!!  She introduced me to one of her talented Fiber Artist friends, Kim Lacy.  Kim took us on a tour of her beautiful home and amazing studio where we were treated to a gallery of truly breathtaking quilts!!!  In fact, I immediately recognized one of Kim's quilts from PIQF 2015!!  
Kim Lacy's "Fire in the Stone" displayed at PIQF 2015, Strip Pieced with Dupioni Silk
Once in her studio, Pauline and I were treated to a trunk show of one amazing quilt after another.  Not only had I gained a new quilting friend, but I left feeling truly awed and inspired by Kim's amazing artwork!  I highly recommend that you check out Kim's online gallery of gorgeous fiber art.

Next stop was Garden of the Gods, an outdoor park featuring stunning rock formations and wildlife.  Here is just a sample of the ever changing vistas found along our 1.5 mile walk along the Perkins Central Garden Trail.  
Amazing Rock Structures Formed by Natural Forces:  Water & Wind.
We went at dusk and had a chance to watch as the sun set over the park, casting sunny glow along the peaks.
Garden of the Gods at Sunset
While it was tempting to keep our focus looking upwards, there was so much to see along the ground level as well:  colorful rocks, flora and fauna (including a jack rabbit who was curious to check us out).  Luckily for us, it was too late in the evening for any rattlesnake sightings!
Local Geology, Flora & Fauna
On our way out of the park, we stopped by the Balanced Rock.  I especially loved all the strata of color and texture.
Balanced Rock:  Scale, Strata and Lending Some Muscle Power Just in Case!
What an absolutely lovely afternoon/evening exploring the beautiful Colorado Springs area.  
Many thanks to my wonderful hosts Pauline and her husband Jerry!!







As you can imagine, it was very difficult for me to say good bye to Pauline and her family...as well as the beautiful Colorado Springs area.  But it was time for me to make the 2-hour drive down to La Veta, for The Quilt Show taping!!! 

Comments

  1. We had a great time with you, Mel! Glad you were able to spend time with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your wonderful hospitality! I enjoyed myself thoroughly!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!