Challenge Accepted: Modern Quilt Guild Blocks

As part of QuiltCon, the Modern Quilt Guild is hosting a block challenge.  In a nutshell, participants design a modern quilt block that uses the colors from the QuiltCon logo, measuring 12.5 tall and the width is
flexible.  Elizabeth Hartman, one of my favorite bloggers, will be selecting her favorite 20 blocks to create a quilt that will be raffled off as a fundraiser!  The remaining blocks will be sewn together for philanthropy quilts.
The colors are so fun and fresh, so it was exciting to brainstorm block ideas using all the colors...and can't wait to start translating my paper mock up into fabric...sorry no sneak peeking yet!

But in the meantime, my local modern quilt guild is starting up a block challenge of their own that parallel's QuiltCon's block challenge.  We are challenged to create 12.5" blocks that use the BAMQG colors:  teal, tangerine and white that will be made into a banner to represent the guild at community events. 
BAMQG logo
I grabbed my membership cardand started pulling out fabric...much of it from my pile of scraps!  Then I set out to make wonky stars using the logo above as the center square...
BAMQG challenge blocks
As all the blocks submitted for the challenge will be worked either into a philanthropy quilt and/or banner, I decided to make a second block for myself!
BAMQG Wonky Block Close Up
I may duplicate this wonky star idea as one of my 3 eligible entries for the QuiltCon contest...using the Modern Quilt Guild logo for the center block.  But I really want to spend my time and energy on my original block idea, as its pretty awesome (at least on paper and in  my head!)  Wish me luck! 

Comments