Saturday Art Therapy

Saturday was my Art and Quilt Therapy Day...

CQFA (Contemporary Quilt and Fiber Artists)
A whole lotta embellishment fun
Beginning early Saturday morning, the first half of the CQFA meeting was spent embellishing sheets of fabric layered with scraps of tissue paper and napkins made by members at an inbetween meeting.  As soon as I dived in with painting and embellishing, I realized I should have taken a "before" picture...d'oh!  I was drawn to this particular sheet because of the black and white roses, the star which had some texture around it, pattern template and the sur la table print.  After some colorful paint, rubber stamping and buttons--this is my "after" photo...   
I have absolutely no idea what will become of this project.  There may be more embellishment in its future.  Or I might cut it up and turn it into stationary or frame smaller sections...to be determined...  
Rhonda's Raffia Ripple

My neighbor Rhonda, fellow CQFA and BAMQG member, made lots of fabric/paper sheets and was very generous in sharing.  I immediately fell in love with this sheet of simple white swept with strips of bright raffia ribbon.I just loved it so much that I didn't want to clutter its simple beauty with paint, rubber stamping or any other embellishment.  Before leaving the meeting, I asked Rhonda to sign it, as I want to frame it for my studio wall!

The remainder of the meeting was just as inspiring.  Everyone shared their Under the Sea challenge projects.  Even though we all started with the same scraps of fused fabrics, I was amazed at the diversity of finished projects and techniques:  tulle for the impression of depth, clear plastic zipper bag that looked like a mini fish tank that is both fun and functional, a pillow (Rhonda), totebag and of course wall hangings!  It was fun to see the same fish fabrics reappear with totally different backgrounds!  And of course-there was lots of other show and tell and ATC swaps. 
ATCs (L to R) made by Maureen, Bron, Angela and Jaye
BAMQG (Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild)
As soon as CQFA wrapped up, I had to hit the highway to get to the BAMQG meeting.  We started with a fun demonstration of quilt as you go.  This is a great little technique that I will keep in mind with the next large quilt project.  And there was lots of show and tell, which is always fun to watch. 

Fabric Shopping
Feeling super excited, I decided to visit one of the LQS in that area to admire and of course, buy some fabric.  This time I was on the hunt for magical fabrics for my upcoming retreat with Christina Barnes:  "Magic Fabrics, Special Effects."   I had a few fun finds to add to my stash.

Studio Mini Makeover
I was absolutely exhausted on my way home, but my spirits raised when I entered the house to see Doug had hung a new wire in the front walkway and proudly displayed his tool quilt (which was so big, a foot or so was on the ground).  Not only that, but he also hung 3 new and much needed ceiling lights in my studio--replacing the floor lamps that were ALWAYS in the way and being knocked over (resulting in several broken bulbs!).  And we then tackled organizing all the electrical wiring, which led to a full blown dusting/cleaning/organizing of the entire studio...which was long overdue.  I've been reluctant to mess up all that hardwork, so I haven't done any sewing since! 

 But that sew-free streak ends today...   ;-)


Comments