Modern Dresdens

Anelie Beldon Dresden Demo
I love the look of the dresden quilt block but there were so many techniques and templates for construction...I realized I had two totally different templates tucked away in my studio!  So I was super excited to see Anelie Beldon, author of Thoroughly Modern Dresden, was scheduled to visit my quilt guild for a trunk show and dresden workshop!  Her trunk show, Dresden Dance, featured dresden quilts both historical and modern.  It was both inspirational and amusing--she really is a fun speaker!!  I left feeling even more excited about taking her dresden workshop the next day...but struggled to 1.  narrow down which project I wanted to tackle as she had sp many projects outlined in her book  2.  select fabrics!!  Two hours before I was scheduled to leave for the workshop I grabbed a layer cake featuring black and white print fabrics, some luminous stripey/ombre fabric and my firework fabric for the center...and hoped it would all work out!

Anelie using my blocks for demo
Anelie's block construction technique was super easy and yielded great results.  I was relieved to open my first block to see the edges all matched up.  Woo hoo.  I also learned she had developed several safeguards to overcome any inaccuracies...especially after she used two of my finished blocks to demonstrate how they are all sewn together.  It turns out that one of my blocks was off by a bit and Anelie shared tips for getting the blocks to play nice!
Block Progress at End of Workshop
 By the end of the day, I had a mostly finished dresden block which I absolutely love!!  All that was left was to hand stitch the center circle.  At first I thought I would just make a small wall hanging...but now I am considering adding more black and white dresden blocks for a slightly larger dresden sampler.  Options to consider:  include dresdens with different sizes, construct 1/4, 1/4 or 3/4 dresdens, vary blade tips and use different background fabrics (since I have very little of the striped ombre leftover!)  Until then, the lovely Panda will model off my finished black and white dresden block!

What's black, white and super bright?!?

Comments