New Year...New Quilting Resolutions!

Quilting furiously away in my studio, I bid 2012 farewell, and welcomed a new year with even more quilting (up through almost 3 AM!!!).  The new year is definitely off to a great start and I've got some ambitious quilting goals lined up for 2013:

Ready for some FMQ!
1.  Embracing Free Motion Quilting!:  Up until now, I've relied on my walking foot for all my quilting. And while it can accomplish some gentle curves, I am ready for more detailed and intricate quilt motifs.      Already, I've gathered some resources to help me be successful in this endeavor:  Leah Day's "Free Motion Quilting a Sampler" Craftsy class, visited her Day Style Designs website, read Listen to Your Quilt book, have 2 more quilts in my Amazon cue, and seriously considering Angela Walter's "How to Machine Quilt Negative Space" Craftsy class!  And I have a bunch of quilt sandwiches prepped for getting my FMQ practice on!  

Supplies for EPP class...check!

2.  Try My Hand at English Paper Piecing:  I had signed up for an EPP class at my LQS in October, and even gathered all the materials on the supply list.  Unfortunately, my new job conflicted with the class and I had to cancel.  But to my luck--they are offering it again in just a few weeks, and I even got permission to leave work early!  I am looking forward to the portability that EPP affords, which will be perfect for travel, work breaks and while watching tv!

Say cheese!






3.  Enhance my photography skills:  Now that I've got a blog, a fancy new camera and post as SCVQA's historian, I'd like to take my photographs to the next level.  So here I am committed to reading my camera manual to learn all about the various functions to capture the best photograph, regardless of conditions/lighting, etc.  It would be helpful to capture more detailed pictures of my works in progress to share my techniques/process with fellow bloggers.  Last, I want to take my finished photographs with more creative backdrops.  Here I enrolled in Caro Sheridan's "Shoot It:  A Product Photography Primer" Craftsy class and already learned a ton of great ideas for future photo shoots of my finished quitls!    

Gathering Courage to Enter my Quilts

4.  Gather the courage to enter my work in a quilt show and/or competition:  Two years in a row, I've passed on opportunities to enter my quilts in local quilt shows.  My excuses for not entering range from "my quilts aren't good enough to be accepted," or "I won't be able to capture the quilt in a photograph to include with the application" to "oops, missed that deadline!"  No more excuses in 2013!  Seeing how our guild is hosting a quilt show in April, and I am working on the Quilt Show planning committee, it would be bad to pass on entering any of my quilts for display.  And then I really hope to enter something for PIQF, even if only part of the "New Quilts of Northern California" exhibit!  And who knows...maybe other quilt show opportunities/or competitions may pop up to consider.


  

My growing list of WIPs, Future Projects and UFOs...

5.  Tackle my growing pile of UFOs!:  As of this morning, my count is 19 WIPs/UFOs and another 20 projects on the horizon/dream list.  So this resolution is gonna take some serious time and commitment on my part.  While I've never been officially diagnosed, I am fairly confident I've got Quilter's ADD!  I no sooner start a new quilted project, and I am already moving on to some new project seen on a blog, magazine, book, quilt show, meeting or elsewhere in my daily life!  And you just can't beat that "quilter's high" that comes with starting a new project, selecting fabrics, getting everything organized, especially since this euphophia is simply completely devoid of any stress or fear about construction, accuracy or how to quilt the darn thing!  It is at that first sign of stress or challenge, such as a major design decision or how to quilt it, that I am most tempted to jump ship to a new project.
Top Row (L to R):  Dixie Portrait, Bow Tie Mania, Curves for Cowards, Kool Kaleidoscope, One Block Wonder Coi
Middle Row:  McCalls Mystery Quilt, Bella Roma, Dresden Fans, Black and White Slash, Baby Twister, Rainbow Vs
Bottom Row:  Pansy 9-Patch, One Block Wonder Butterfly, Black Opal, Crazy Quilt, Dinosaur Slash, Run for Color

So I am determined to slow down the number of new projects started, at least until I am able to complete some of the UFOs/WIPs lurking in my studio.  And trust me, they are everywhere and almost consuming the studio!  My white board is filled with projects at various stages of completion. My design wall and fabric racks are filled with blocks or unfinished quilt tops, and even layered quilts awaiting quilting/binding.  I have plastic boxes upon plastic boxes containing all the fabrics, patterns and materials for even more projects awaiting their turn for finishing!  This resolution may require some serious soul searching as to whether I even want to complete certain project or simply donate it to philanthropy or share it with a fellow quilter (and tempt them with a new fun quilt project) where it is my hope the fabric will see the light of day and turn into a finished quilt!  Here is where my work schedule may come in handy, as it will limit the number of quilt classes I am able to attend, and ultimately lessen the number of new projects I am able to start this year!  So I am optimistic that I can redirect some of this time and energy to revisiting the WIPs/UFOs that desperately need my time and attention.  

Cheers to the exciting quilting adventures awaiting in 2013!

Comments