Crawl and then Run for Color

Sampling of Run for Color Blocks
Back in April 2012, I attended Karla Alexander's Gentle Curve Piecing workshop, where I started her "Run for Color" pattern.  I quickly learned that I chose one of the more intricately pieced designs.  Several of my fellow classmates chose patterns that involved 1 curved seam, whereas Run for Color involved 6 curved seams per block!  I left the workshop having only completed 6 blocks!  Whenever I would attend Sew Days or Small Quilt groups, I would pack up my Run for Color blocks and work on a batch or two...and steadily made progress towards achieving enough blocks in each of the 6 colorways:  yellow, green, teal, blue, dark blue and purple.  And then I took a bit of a hiatus from quilting...but brought them back out on Sunday for BAMQG's Sew Day...and worked towards completing the last 4 batches of colorful blocks--totaling 24 blocks in just one day (a personal record!)

This morning I woke up super early, anxious to start laying out the blocks on my design wall.  It was so much fun watching the design bloom...although I regret not taking a picture of just the yellow blocks up on the wall...oh well!  In less than 2 hours later, I had labelled all the blocks by row/order and assembled my rows!

Step 1 and 2:  Yellow and Green

Step 3:  Teal

Step 4, 5 and 5:  Blue, Navy and Purple

Assembled Rows (which are hanging vertically for ease)
While 100% of these fabrics came from my stash--I suspect I will need to visit one of my LQS for some border fabrics, as I don't have much purple yardage in my stash. I have yet to count just how many different fabrics are included in the quilt top.  There were at least 3 sets of blocks for each colorway, but some fabrics were repeated, and then all the black & white fabrics?!?  There were ~15 blocks that were not used in the top that I plan on using in a pieced backing.  And I have some thoughts of doing some wavy lines for the quilting to mimic the movement of the curved blocks.  Oh and in case you are wondering, there are 432 curved seams in the quilt top alone.

I am optimistic that I might have this assembled, quilted and bound in time for our upcoming Quilt Show in April?!?

Comments