|Panda checking out the length of Koi fabric|
Even though the bulk of the quilt is just one fabric, there are lots of seams to sew, pin and press (I think I went through an entire bottle of Maryellen's Best Press on this quilt top!!) Then I took some time to find the perfect borders and figure out the quilting design. But they were all well worth the wait...
|The perfect border fabric...amazing!!|
I auditioned a giant stack of fabric from my stash in search of the perfect borders. None seemed quite right for this quilt and I was about to give up and tuck the quilt away for a few more weeks. But first one last search, and much to my delight, I found this great Kaffe Fassett polka dot ombre fabric that miraculously contained all the colors from the Koi fabric! It was simply amazing and I went to work cutting it up and attaching my spinning borders.
I purchased the original length of OBW fabric at full price, but months later saw the same fabric on clearance...so I got a bit more that I used with the quilt back flanked with some light blue circles/bubbles.
As usual, I was unsure how to proceed with the quilting. Using the isometric grid created by the equilateral triangles, I used my walking foot to stitch gentle curves along each triangle seam, creating flower petals. And then I simply quilted the ombre borders as each color transitioned to better define the colorways. This was fairly dense quilting for me and I was surprised at how many tv shows it took to complete the quilting! But I love the finished design and texture achieved!
|Front: Quilted flower petals using isometric grid|
|Back: Interlocking Flower Petals|
|Koi Fish OBW Quilt|
Tiny detail: For the OBW quilt class, we were tasked with cutting up and assembling half hexies as homework between our first and second/final session. I was so enthusiastic about this technique that I went home and finished my homework on the Koi fish quilt, and went on to layer, cut and assemble a set of half hexies for a second OBW quilt using a glowing butterfly fabric. The quilt top is done, basted and cued up for quilting...so stay tuned!