Santa Cruz Quilt Show/Shop Hop

For Valentine's Day, Doug gave me a certificate for a shop hop day.  So when a fellow guild member emailed me about the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association Quilt Show down in the Santa Cruz area open this weekend, I was ready to put my certificate to good use.  In addition to looking at the PVQA website about show specifics, I also researched local quilt shops and plotted a route in Google maps to visit them all in en route.

The drive included some spectacular views and it was a warm and sunny day.  It provided a lovely backdrop for a fun day ahead.  The quilt show itself was wonderful.  While I was there for the beautiful quilts and vendor temptations, I was on a side mission to do some research in preparation for our 2015 Quilt Show.  Their guild recently purchased pole and drape system which looked so sleek and allowed the quilts to take center stage.  Moreover, the standardized set up and equipment would be a huge upgrade from our 13 different rack sizes made from PVC--or as some members call it "Tiddly Winks."

Awesome quilt kit, bundle of fat quarters, thread and buttons
And there were some fun vendors selling magical and fun fabrics to add to my stash.  I was instantly mesmerized by a particular quilt on display featuring ombre fabrics.  While I am not one to buy quilt kits, this one had to come home with me.  With the additional yardage in my stash, I can make a lap sized version which may be bumped up in my project queue?!?

And as if I hadn't done enough damage among the vendors, we then visited some great quilt shops including Harts and their huge wall filled with fun, bright and modern fabrics; Judy's Sew and Vac new location in an old bank, complete with a vault; and Sue Dee's where my hunt for a particular fabric concluded and I had a charming conversation with the quilt shop staff member.  
Thank goodness for the extra reusable bags to tote my treasure trove home!
Thank you Doug for an amazing day and spectacular Valentine's Day gift!!

Comments