I began pulling 2.5" squares from my charm bins, starting with the medium values first. It became increasingly difficult once I moved onto finding corresponding light and dark values. Sometimes this required that I swap out the medium values, in order to make it all work. And on at least one occasion, I had to use the back side of the fabric in order to achieve the lightest value (although this was later swapped out thanks to a LQS visit where I filled this void in my stash--light periwinkle is now represented!!)
|Color Wheel Progression to Include Light, Medium and Dark Values|
|Introducing Some Brown/Mud to Help My Fabrics Sparkle!|
The last obstacle was successfully paper piecing each unit using the 2.5" swatches with very sharp angles! Typically when foundation piecing, I cut my fabrics considerably larger than needed to give me plenty of wiggle room, and I simply trim away as I go. There was only 1/8" or so extra, which did not provide much margin for error, and as a result my seam ripper did make several cameo appearances as I had to figure out the perfect alignment needed for full coverage in each section! But with practice and persistence, they were all foundation pieced and successfully assembled without any gaps!
A colorful rainbow swirly print was used for the backing, and an additional neutral brown was used for the final border and binding and some basic stitch in the ditch using Superior MonoPoly Clear and a variegated brown Aurifil 50-weight to add some light FMQing in the border.
|Rainbow Geode, 11" Finished on Each Side|
I can't wait to hang it in my studio, where it will serve as functional art and future reference for fabric selections/pairings!!