Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Slice & Shuffle Improvisation

Back in May, I started to experiment with Slice & Shuffle improvisation, as the final row in my Slice of Improv sampler.  Four layers of purple fabric background squares were layered, sliced and then additional purple strips were inserted during the reassembly process.  This technique was further disguised once they were cut up for piecing or applique.
Slice & Shuffle Prototypes
As this is one of the 32 variations covered in my Slice of Improv workshop, I made sure to incorporate more contrast in the fabrics used during the demonstration.  I started with background squares in neutral greys (using both solids & prints), sliced in Pi symbols and inserted bright colored strips from the same color (ie.  3 different red strips or 3 different teal strips).  After teaching a couple of classes, my collection of demonstration blocks was growing.  I whipped up a few more pieced Pi blocks here and there, adding variety in prints and colors.           
Collection of Slice & Shuffle Blocks Multiplying
Detail of Blocks & Quilting
There are forty-nine blocks in my quilt top, each featuring a bright colored Pi symbol.  Having pieced several blocks in each colorway, I was able to create a rainbow gradation starting and ending with red-violet in both the top left and bottom right corners.

I continued my BSR-free streak as I free motion quilted the top a little over a day (in 2-3 sessions).  A light color grey Aurifil 50-weight was used to stitch a variation of Leah Day's Zippling, which makes for a great dense background fill, allowing the strip inserts to pop with color and loft.  My focus was on creating consistent stitch length and I was very pleased with the results!  

A bright cheery dragonfly print (featuring many of the colors used on the quilt top) was pulled from my stash for the quilt back.  
Dragonfly Quilt Back & Label
"Slice & Shuffle Improv", Finished 35" x 35"

No comments:

Post a Comment