Monday, January 2, 2017

Happy New Year and Happy New Quilt-Related Resolutions!

Woo hoo!!!  It is officially 2017 and I am ready to kick off a brand new year of quilt-related adventures and resolutions!!  I love assigning myself 5 quilt related new year's resolutions that will challenge me to grow as a quilter/artist, but are still achievable!  And while they do involve some time and effort, they are usually way more fun than eating healthy, working out, etc!!

So...what do I have planned for 2017?!?  In a nutshell:  A LOT!!

1.  First priority will be to grow my business:  Mel Beach Quilts!

I am so excited about my 2017 Teaching Calendar and the opportunity to share my love of quilting with so many quilters, quilt guilds and shops!  I will be looking to market myself to a broader geographic region while also growing my online presence via an e-newsletter, Instagram and possibly video tutorials.  I also hope to add one or two new workshops to my listings to share some new techniques and designs!!  I have some larger goals/plans that I am keeping under wraps as I work out the logistics...but it should be an exciting year ahead and I certainly hope our paths will cross.


2.  Create Quilts to Enter into Juried Shows
I hope to design and create new quilts this year that are worthy of consideration for some of the larger and more competitive juried shows:  AQS, MQX, QuiltCon West and Houston IQF.  Not sure if I will be able to have quilts ready for all these shows...but will aspire to enter at least one or two this year!!

3.  Dyeing with Intention
I greatly enjoy the process of dyeing fabric.  I often joke that I feel like a mad scientist as I don rubber gloves, masks and combine different chemicals in the process.  I definitely want to continue my experiments, but I would like to be more intentional and keep better records of what worked as well as what didn't with the hopes of fine-tuning my process/results/recipes.

4.  More Series Work

Working in a series has pushed me to explore new designs, techniques and create new workshops.  I love asking "What If?" and working through different possibilities and variations.  I have a few more ideas to explore in both the Mandala and Slice & Insert technique series in the new year...but will be open to new techniques/designs that may lead to series work.
2016 Series Work:  Slice & Insert (top) and Mandalas (bottom)
5.  Continue My Quest to Eradicate UFOs!!

Each year, I make small strides in reducing the number of UFO's...but they continue to haunt me and my studio!!  I have a few older UFOs that I have very good intentions of seeing through completion.  But as I try to get to the source of my problem, I've noticed a trend where many of my workshop samples end up in the UFO pile.  While I do enjoy learning new techniques from other artists, I need to revisit my personal policy when it comes to following through on finishing class projects.  Do I need to complete the project to prove to myself that I've learned something new?  Or is the knowledge and experience alone sufficient?    

Ok...now that I've got a a game plan, time to head into the studio and start creating!!

Do you have any fun quilt-related new year's resolutions for 2017?!?  Are there any new techniques, skills or experiences that you hope to include in your new year?!?

2 comments:

  1. Great goals. I'm sure you'll achieve them. Except (perhaps) the UFO pile. If you manage to clear that I'd like lessons! I thought I'd eradicated mine but, like cockroaches, they reappeared.
    I'm looking forward to your workshop this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the UFO resolution is starting to become a UFO itself! Yes--just as I finish one UFO--another seems to pop up. They are quite like cockroaches! I am looking forward to August's workshop too...will be lots of fun!

      Delete