August Quilting Adventures with the Santa Clara Valley Quilt Association

August was amazing as I had the honor and privilege to present my Challenge Yourself! lecture/trunk show and teach Walking Foot WOW! for my fellow Santa Clara Valley Quilt Association quilters!  There was so much interest in the Walking Foot WOW! workshop that our programs team went above and beyond to secure additional dates and venues to accommodate three SOLD out workshops!!
Walking Foot WOW! Take 1, 2 and 3!!!
With nearly 60 members and 20+ quilting designs--there were so many beautiful, modern quilted textures stitched over those 3 days.  
Gorgeously Stitched (and beautifully bound) Samplers by Robbie Groves (left) and Carol McCord (right)
After debuting this Mod Molas technique at the SCVQA Quilt Show, Isabel from the Programs committee asked me if it would be possible to incorporate this technique into Walking Foot WOW!?!
There was certainly great potential and after some experimentation in creating a new WOW sampler, I agreed to introduce a fun new twist for SCVQA.

I have so much fun watching everyone's WOW samplers fill with modern quilted textures...but what fun to see them totally transform as they cut out small swatches to reveal a colorful layer hidden below!!!!
Amazing Quilted Transofmrations by Pat Cox (left) and Joni Strother (middle and right)
Can you say WOW!  WOW!!  WOW!!!  Joni Strother wrote a fabulous blog post about her workshop sampler and brilliantly photographed the transformation (I highly recommend checking it out!!)

And it sure was a hot crowd for the monthly meeting where I presented my Challenge Yourself! lecture/trunk show.  Yes--we were experiencing record hot temperatures here in the Santa Clara area and regrettably our meeting venue does not have A/C.  I am so appreciative of all those who braved the heat as it was a packed audience.  I was honored to share my journey in which so many have played a pivotal role in my own development as a quilt artist.  Many thanks to all those who have served on the board for our dynamic association, our programs team that schedule top-notch teachers from which I have learned so much, volunteers who organized quilt challenge and quilt shows that have challenged me as a quilt artist, the two hosts and participants of Q101 that helped me discover my joy of teaching and everyone who has ever participated in any of our quilts shows and/or show and tell--which always leave me feeling inspired and eager to create!!  THANK YOU!!!

I was especially proud to see several members showcase quilts that were started in past workshops with me (Slice of Improv) as well as a whopping 8 WOW Samplers from the first two workshops!  Let's just say I was beaming inside and out after seeing all those fabulous finishes!!

Last but not least, Doug was able to join me for the meeting (and was a huge help with transportation and technology).  He sat in the front row and hear me sing his praise for being so incredibly supportive as I pursue this exciting new journey as full-time quilt artist, teacher and lecturer!

Comments

  1. Wonderful lecture and workshop. Everyone is so excited by your work, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann!! This has been an amazing journey and I am so appreciative of all your encouragement and support!

      Delete
  2. Mel! Thank you for publicizing my blog! As someone who's used a walking foot for years, I have to say that I learned so much in your class and started using what I learned immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for capturing the progression of your amazing sampler and documenting so others can experience the same thrill of modern molas!! I am delighted to hear you are already using your newfound skills and designs in your quilts!! Can't wait to see them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!