Welcome to My Curated Collection of Fabrics...

Pile O' Unsorted Fabric
Whether you refer to it as your stash, a well curated fabric collection or Fable (Fabric Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy), we quilters love acquiring pretty new fabrics and most of us have a pretty extensive pile o' fabric at home.  So it's time to talk about organizing (aka curating) our fabrics! 

For me, organization helps me to

1.  Know what I already own
2.  Know where I can find a particular fabric when I need it
3.  Know what colors/values are missing in prepartion for my next FART (Fabric Accumulation and Reconnaissance Trip!!)

So allow me to introduce you to my Stash System...starting with yardage!   Confession time:  My fabric yardage is rarely 100% organized, especially when I am in the midst of a fabric pull or after returning home from a shop hop!  I have designated a plastic bin that sits on top of my fabric stash to place unsorted fabrics.  And as you can see, sometimes I move onto a new project and that unsorted fabric gets a little out of control to the point that it topples over and covers the entire counter!

Most of my yardage is folded neatly and organized into this fabulous, customizable and stackable ANTONIUS wire basket system from IKEA.  I believe IKEA is in the process of phasing out the ANTONIUS system and replacing it with ALGOT (which also has a metal frame and an assortment of similarly sized baskets and bins that slide into a track on the frame.)  I love the baskets as they hold a lot of fabric and if I fold my fabrics and place them vertically, I can easily see all the fabrics just by sliding out the basket.  Most of my baskets are sorted by color (the three columns on the right):  red-violet, pink, red, orange, yellow, light green, dark green, teal, light blue, dark blue, purple, white/brown (yes--I have a dedicated section of brown fabrics), grey, black with color, black and white.  That first tall column contains my special collections:  Kona solids, Hand Dyed solids, Ombres, Kaffe Collective, Floral, Stripes, Novelty Prints and Ethnic Prints (Aboriginal, Asian and African).  If I am working with a particular collection, I will oftentimes remove the basket entirely and place it on my cutting table and/or ironing board.  I do make a point of going through each basket 1-2xs each year to pull out any unloved fabrics (which are donated to various charity groups through my guild) and make room for new fabric purchases!!   
Antonius Wire Rack & Basket System for My Yardage
Anyone else have a total weakness for pre cuts?!?  I am a total sucker for fat quarter bundles, jelly rolls, layer cakes and charm packs!!  While I am always looking for an awesome pre-cut friendly pattern, my tendency is to simply pet them from time to time!!  Baskets are my go to for storing my pre-cut collection.  A friend gave me a set of matching baskets that have little dividers that are just perfect for jelly rolls and charm packs!!
Perfect Baskets for Storing Pre Cuts
Over the years, I also have a collection of Amish baskets from my mother that are great for storing kits, patterns and more precuts!!  And there may just be a few layer cakes and jelly rolls squirrelled away in a flat drawer or two! 
More Precuts Stashed Away in Baskets and Drawers
Last but not least is scraps!!!  Once I am no longer able to fold it up to be stored in the wire baskets, it is considered a scrap.  Fused fabric scraps have their own dedicated storage bin. 
Storing Scraps--Fused and Unfused
Storing Pre-Cuts Made from Scraps

In an ideal world, I would cut up my other scraps after completing a project...ha Ha HA...I wish!  Instead they get tucked into their own plastic bin.  When that bin is bulging to the point that I am not longer able to close it, it is time for scrap management...

I like to cut my scraps into three usable sizes:

  • 2.5" or wider strips that are the full width of fabric (which go into a shallow bin)
  • 5" charm squares sorted by color (which go into a 6 qt plastic bin)
  • 2.5" squares (which get sorted by color and placed into shallow bins)


Thanks to my love of the Slice and Insert technique, I am now saving smaller and smaller "schnibbles" of fabric!!  If it is 1" or wider, it gets sorted by color and goes into my Slice of Improv containers.  Yes--those are chinese food take out containers and they hold an impressive amount of schnibbles!!  Currently I have one for pink/purple, orange/yellow, green, teal/blue, white, grey and black & white scraps.  They are easy to stack up and take with me to classes.  

And there you have it...my fabric stash storage system!  I hope it inspires you to visit your own stash and do some curating!!




Schnibbles To Go!

Comments

  1. Wonderful post Mel! Love the FART analogy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed...and I hope you have fun on future FARTs!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!