After people learn that I've completed more than 60 quilt challenges in the past 4-5 years, they usually have a few follow up questions:
2. How do you find the time?
3. Where do you get your ideas/inspiration?
4. How do you find all these quilt challenges?
In my Challenge Yourself! lecture/trunk show, I answer each of these questions by addressing common fears associated with quilt challenges, highlighting the benefits of partcipation, sharing tips/tricks for having fun and during the trunk show portion, I am sure to share the journey of each challenge quilt I bring.
Oftentimes after my presentation, I receive emails asking me for a copy of the slide where I post Quilt Challenge Opportunities. These emails totally make my day as it means that I was successful in my mission to encourage participation in Quilt Challenges!
So I thought I would share this information here with some more detail as to where you can learn about upcoming quilt challenge opportunities...
1. Your Quilt Guild
|Quilt Guild Challenges|
My journey into quilt challenges began with the annual challenges hosted by my own local quilt guild as part of our biannual quilt show. These are a great way to get started as you are surrounded by your fellow quilting friends. As I've travelled to various guilds, I've enjoyed seeing so many guilds host a wide range of challenges for their membership. And in some cases, guilds started to offer quilt challenges after their members showed interest following my presentation. If quilt challenges aren't currently part of your guild's activities, consider hosting a challenge on your own or with a friend. Hosting quilt challenges is a fun way to get involved and meet fellow quilters. Looking for ideas? Here are two fun quilt challenges that I've hosted for my guild:
Here are a few examples of past quilt challenges hosted by magazines.
- McCalls/Quiltmaker/Quilter's Newsletter: Be Creative! Challenge
- Modern Quilting Unlimited: Everything Old is New Again Block & Quilt Challenge
- Machine Quilting Unlimited: 10x10 Anniversary Challenge
- Quilting Arts: Reader Challenge in each issue
- Design a quilt or block in Electric Quilt for ClubEQ's Monthly Challenges (no sewing required!!)
- I highly recommend participation in Project Quilting series of 1-week (and a few off-season 1-month) quilt challenges where there are lots of fun prizes for participation. Season 9 kicks off January 7th, 2018!!!
- Check out ArtCall for Current Art Calls for Entries
4. Fabric Companies
- Hoffman Fabric Challenge--this year features the shine On! digitally printed collection
- Cherrywood Challenges--Use this year's beautiful bundle of saturated, hand dyed purples and draw inspiration from Prince's music, style, movies and distinct look for a 20" x 20" square quilt.
- American Made Brand Fabric Challenges
- Michael Miller Fabric Challenge for Modern Quilt Guild Members
- Riley Blake Fabric Challenge for Modern Quilt Guild Members
- eQuilter's Love Your Mother Quilt Challenge featuring a digitally printed panel with an image of the Earth surrounded by a Rainbow Mandala.
5. Friends/Fellow Guild Members
Once you get a reputation for participating in quilt challenges--friends and fellow guild members will start notifying you of upcoming challenge opportunities!! Here are some ways of staying up to date on upcoming challenge opportunities:
- Sign Up to Receive my Monthly Newsletter for a monthly boost of quilting tips & inspiration from my studio delivered right into your email inbox. Each month, I highlight upcoming challenge deadlines and include links to learn more!
- Join the Challenge Quilts facebook group to connect with fellow challenge enthusiasts!!