2018 New Years Resolutions

This post is long overdue, despite a very early start!!  Believe it or not, as early as November/early December, I began planning my goals/resolutions for 2018!!  And then I started to reflect on my 2017 progress and adventures, which left me wondering how in the world I could possibly top it this year?!?  Instead of feeling renewed and excited about the new year, I was left feeling overwhelmed and anxious!  So I took some time to reflect/meditate (aka binge watch The Crown on Netflix while working on some hand binding) and thought about what I want to accomplish in 2018.  Without further ado...let's do this!!
Panda Helps to Press Batting for 2018 Quilt Finishes
1.  Create more meaningful quilts
  • I've really enjoyed creating quilts that tell an important story and raise awareness about the world in which we live, work and create.  So I will be scoping out Art Calls that will push me to address world issues through research, respectful dialogue and my own unique style.
  • I also want to spend more time giving back through Philanthropy--whether it is making blocks, an entire quilt, etc as my time allows.  In November, I picked up a cuddle kit from my guild and have a stash of blocks that I plan on turning into donation quilts.
  • As I participate in quilt challenges, I want to create multi-tasking quilt entries to get more bang for my buck.  Some ideas include:  create one quilt that satisfies two or more quilt challenge criteria, use techniques from my workshops so I will have fun new class samples, use my hand dyed fabrics and/or create an exciting new quilt series.
  • Last but not least, I want to enter a quilt that is worthy of Houston International Quilt Festival.  Every year, I talk myself out of entering as I've put this show on such a high pedestal.  But I think I am ready and have a few ideas for quilts that may be Houston worthy!!

2.  Be More Intentional with My Online Presence and Use of Social Media
I am so incredibly thankful for the online quilting community, especially as I tend to work and create in isolation.  Having an online presence has allowed me to connect with quilters all over the world, learn about new quilting trends/tools/techniques, showcase my new creative endeavors and promote my teaching engagements.  However, I've also recognized that there are times that the internet can be a significant time suck, and I regret how many countless hours have been lost to mindless internet surfing, which could have been channeled into more creative endeavors!  I want to be more aware of how much time I waste on the internet and redirect some of that wasted time into creating more engaging content via my blog, facebook, instagram and my monthly newsletter (be sure to like/follow/join so you don't miss out!)


3.  Teach and Inspire
  • I truly love teaching and inspiring quilters of all levels to ask "What If?"  This year, I plan on developing and launching a new lecture/trunk show along with two new workshops-one of which will focus on Free Motion Quilting!!
  • I also plan on creating and posting more video demos via Facebook and Instagram (ideally 2 per month/~25 for the year).
  • I want to explore opportunities for publication as a way to expand my teaching credentials.  As much as I love to travel & teach in person workshops, having a book and/or magazine articles would allow me to share my quilts and techniques with a much larger audience, and open doors to teach at some of the larger quilt shows/conventions that are on my bucket list. 
  • Last but not least, I've been blessed to have some amazing mentors as I began this new career.  I'd like to pay it forward by sharing my experiences/lessons learned with fellow quilters who are just starting out.  I am excited to be invited to be on a Teacher's Panel for the NorCal/NV region of SAQA in late January and hope to encourage new quilt teachers in other forums!

4.  UFO Management
As I head into the new year, I will be accompanied by 20+ UnFinished Objects!! These projects consume considerable storage space along with feelings of guilt of not having finished them already.

  • The good news is that the majority of my UFOs are finished tops and are in need of quilting/finishing!  Several quilt tops were intentionally set aside as I did not have the quilting skills at the time to do justice to the pieced designs.  At least 3 quilts are partially quilted but were put on the backburner to focus time on quilts with deadlines.  Regardless of time out reason, my goal is work towards finishing at least 6 of these quilts.
  • More good news is that several of the projects are a collection of pieced blocks-which makes for a portable project, perfect for retreats/quilting get aways.  
  • The bad news is that there are quilts that go back to 2011!  It be great to finish at least one of these long-time projects.  
  • I've already identified several UFOs that I plan on either donating to philanthropy, exchanging and/or scrapping entirely.  
  • Last but not least, I'd love to add 4 of less UFOs started in 2018 and will work to finish what I start this year.
Ringing In The New Year by Pin Basting UFOs

5.  Invest in My Own Creative Development

For me, setting New Year's Resolutions is a fabulous opportunity for adding new quilting tools, techniques and adventures to my quilt journey.  So here are a few fun creative endeavors lined up for 2018:

  • Attend QuiltCon West, where I will see Peace by Piece on display and enroll in an EQ8 Design Lab with Amy Ellis!
  • Signed up to take Lyric Kinard's Abstract-a-licious workshop during her February SCVQA visit!
  • Learn new Fabric Dyeing techniques including some ice dyeing at home and I am super excited to be signed up for Carol Soderlund's Chromaticity:  Flat & Glowing 5-day workshop!!!
  • Participate in The Sketchbook Project.  My brand new sketchbook has arrived and I'll be sure to show some pictures of my sketchbook entries once I get started.
  • Explore ruler work with my Juki (already purchased a new Juki ruler foot!!)
  • Take a 5-day intensive quilting class at Art Quilt Tahoe.

Here's to another fun & creative year!!  

Comments