"Ship Happens" by Guest Blogger: Mark Beach

Pic of X-treme binding of angles!
What can I tell you about myself?  Mark Beach: long time admirer, first time quilter.  Up until this challenge I had virtually no sewing/quilting experience outside making a few reusable shopping totes.  I'm a Master Carpenter accustomed to building theatre and film sets.  How did this all come about???

Upon arriving in CA to visit with my sister Mel Beach (thanks for all the scraps and work space), she took me to the Santa Clara Valley Quilt Association guild meeting.  After seeing some different styles and hearing about this quilt challenge Triangulation theme, an idea started to shape.  "Ship Happens"
The orange sail started as an improv style spiral using 2 pieces of fabric.  Then I realized it looked like a sail.  Hmm.  I know find some stuff and make it happen.  Building a sailboat from fabric???  No wood?  
After messing around with scraps and hearing about this challenge, it all clicked...  3D sailboat on a triangle!!!  Started quilting some padded sails.  Fitted them with wire hanger parts in order to maintain shape.  With this process I found I needed to add extra sail stitches to keep the hanger in place.  Thought the Alligator fused applique added a nice whimsical feel to it.
Close up of sails stitched to wooden dowel for a mast.  Really like the negatve space behind the sails.  
Now comes the part of the overall image.  Didn't think the 2 sails alone were enough "trianglulation" hence the background shape.  I also needed a unique way to hang this schooner...grommets worked perfectly!  The water and sky fabric were the only non-scrap pieces used.  They needed a little more pop to compete with the 3D sails I thought.  I came up with the idea to add some wavy quiltng lines.  Binding it in the same scraps used for the boat just seemed to complete the piece.
"Ship Happens", Finishes 33" x 24"
In order to make "Ship Happens" complete her mission, she'll require your votes.  She will be in a sea of "triangle" quilts trying to bring home the big W.  Online voting will open Sunday 1/28 after around 11 AM PST and close Friday, February 2nd Hint Hint check out number 39 it's a pretty sailoat

Comments

  1. This quilt is amazing! I am super impressed with how creative and well made it is for your first quilt you’ve ever made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelby--yes--Mark's quilt is pretty outstanding and well constructed. I sure hope he makes more as he is off to a really strong start!!

      Delete
  2. WOW so cool! Love that we have a brother and sister competing against each other too! Love your 3d creation and how you literally thought "outside the square". Great job and welcome to PQ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim for creating a fun family bonding experience for Mark & I. I really enjoyed watching his entry evolve and take sail...and I truly hope it is the first of many more as he is a natural!!

      Delete
  3. You are a natural! Such a creative idea. Thanks for sharing your process with us. Presume you are now addicted....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan--he sure is a natural. I am seriously impressed by his vision and how quickly he picked up on the construction. I sure hope it is the first of many quilt entries!!

      Delete
  4. Extremely impressive, Mark! I bet you don't even know how many experienced quilters could not invent your quilt. You are a natural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joni--many thanks to you and the SCVQA board for welcoming him at the meeting and providing him with inspiration to give quilting a go! I only wish my first quilt (or even one of my first 40 quilts) looked as fabulous as his work of art!!

      Delete
  5. Mark this is so awesome man!! Great Work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gregory--Mark's work is pretty stunning. I sure hope he makes more as he is a very quick learner and has a great eye for design and construction!!

      Delete
  6. fantastic!!! I do sound design for theatre in my spare time, but that sadly does not have the same creative crossover as set design does for this type of art. great job. i look forward to seeing your future challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Running for Becca--He is a true renaissance man...master woodworker, set designer, videographer and now quilter!! I hope he continues participating in future challenges!!

      Delete
  7. Wow! If this is your first quilt, I can't wait to see what you come up with in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you works4me--yes--I too look forward to seeing more quilts made by Mark as I think he has a real eye and talent for this medium!

      Delete
  8. Super fun to read your process. Love the colors, fabic & quilting choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin...I was so amazed watching his creation evolve that it wasn't until midway through the project that we started taking pictures of his process. It was really fascinating to watch though!!

      Delete
  9. Yay! Challenge met. How fun to be inspired when you're near Mel and her supplies. I will love seeing what you make next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. He really felt inspired after Monday's guild meeting and I was surprised when he introduced the idea of doing some quilting and working on an entry!! I sure hope this quilting bug sticks with him as he is pretty darn good at it!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!