Lotta Mini Quilts



The San Francisco Quilt Guild Quiltaway weekend included a Mini Quilt Exchange, inspired by the "Back to Nature" theme.  As I was brainstorming possible design ideas, I thought of birds and trees, which reminded me of a Lotta Jansdotter Bella print that just happened to be in my stash.  I had a small pile of leftover scraps from two previous projects featuring Lotta Jansdotter prints:  Whole Lotta Modern View and CREA-TV


I cut out several panels of the tree panel and framed each with various scrap prints and solids.  Since I had several panels, I opted to layout and piece a few mini quilts.  Running short on time, I focused on quilting and finishing one of the smaller minis to participate in the Swap Exchange and completed the rest after the retreat weekend.  Each was improvisationally pieced and quilted using White (#2024) Aurifil 50 weight thread.  The striped fabric made for the perfect binding, but as you can see I ran short on the last mini and supplemented with some solid charcoal fabric...make it work!


I really enjoyed working on each piece and loved using up some of my precious scraps.  The smaller mini (top left) was entered into the Mini Exchange and the other three were made as gifts and are now in private collections.  More mini making is definitely in my future!

Comments