Teaching Adventures in the Big Apple


Last weekend, I flew back to New York City to teach and lecture for the Empire Quilters.  Growing up in New York, I had visited NYC on multiple occasions, but this was my first time staying overnight, navigating on my own while schlepping 3 suitcases full of quilts and teaching materials!
My Entourage

Despite a late night arrival and 3-hour time zone difference, I was off to an early start with a quick detour through the garment district to visit Mood Fabrics.  I was hoping to see Swatch, Tim Gunn or Heidi Klum...but figured it would be a long shot since Project Runway is on hiatus.  So I perused all the fabrics and admit it was a little overwhelming!!  I purchased a yard of a fun fabric to make some infinity scarves, as well as a few gifts for family & friends.  As I was picking out my fabric, I heard some excitement towards the front of the shop.  There I spotted Swatch greeting his adoring fans!!  He played it pretty cool and allowed the puparazzi to take pictures.
Thank You Mood! Thank You Swatch!!

From there, I was off to Gotham Quilts for a Mod Molas & Bright Blooms workshop.
Gotham Quilts

Here are some of the pretty threads I packed for those taking the workshop!!
Thank you Aurifil Threads!!

Here are some of the Mod Molas that bloomed over the course of the workshop...I love how everyone added their own unique style to their Mola.  One quilter took her workshop sample home, and enlarged it by adding borders and additional fancy quilting using her long arm (2nd from the left).
Bright Blooms

The next day I presented my Challenge Yourself! lecture/trunk show.  As I was arriving to the church with my suitcase in tow, I saw signs for Tony & Tina.  Turns out the church was double booked for both a quilt show meeting and a warm up for an evening performance of Tony & Tina's wedding!!  Never a dull moment when you are teaching and lecturing!!

I was sure to celebrate my return to New York with some Dunkin' Donuts and a slice of real New York pizza!!
Slice of New York

Stay tuned as I share more of my NYC adventures...

Comments