Project Quilting 10.3: Bigger Than a Breadbox


This week's Project Quilting challenge theme was Bigger Than a Breadbox!  Three-dimensional quilts were not required, but the dimensions of a flattened out breadbox were defined as 16" x 9", which was the minimum size for all of this week's entries. 

My first plan was to enter my hand dyed quilted mandala as it met the minimum size requirements.  However, the more I thought about the Bigger than a Breadbox theme, the more I wanted to explore three-dimensional ideas.  In my Sew in Love February newsletter, I posted several ideas for showing your sewing machine some love, inluding links to several online tutorials for making a sewing machine cover.  Now was the time to follow my own advice and show my Juki TL-2010Q some love!!!

The hardest part of making my entry was choosing a design for my sewing machine cover!  Of course, I made it more complicated by wanting to make it reversible!  Initially I considered patchwork, but couldn't decide on a design or fabic.  So I kept it simple by creating a wholecloth quilt to showcase a variety of modern, free-motion filler designs.  Now I only needed to choose two fabrics that coordinated with each other, as well as the teal accents sprinkled around my studio.  I chose a vibrant, cool colored wavy striped print, and a glowing EE Schenck Gelato ombre that gradates from a beautiful raspberry to a brilliant teal!

To add structure to my quilted sandwich, I added a layer of Pellon Decor Bond between the batting and ombre backing.  The stripes provided the perfect mark-free guide for all the stitched designs.  White (#2024) Aurifil 40wt was used on top with matching 50wt in the bobbin.  Two hours later, the quilting was finished and included a variety of loop de loop designs, door bead motifs, and simple wavy lines that echoed the printed stripes.

Since I wasn't sure how much the quilt sandwich would shrink with dense quilting, I oversized my quilt sandwich by adding a few inches to the width and height.  Once the qulting was complete, I draped it over my sewing machine and trimmed to the size needed.  To make the side ties, I used a package of Wright's 1/4" double fold bias tape that was stitched closed along the length of the folds cut into four strips, and stitched into place prior to binding.  Laid flat, the sewing machine cover measures 19.5" x 27".

And in less than 5 hours, start to finish, here is my completed Bigger Than a Bread Box Sewing Machine Cover.  In use, it is 19.5" wide, 11" tall and 10" deep.

While I loved the bold wavy print, I also love how the ombre side really showcases the quilted textures!!  Thankfully it is super easy to turn inside out, so I can keep switching back and forth!

I am linking my finished Sewing Machine Cover for online Voting.  Please check out all the Bigger Than a Breadbox entries and VOTE for your favorites!!  Hint Hint--check out entry #108.

Comments

  1. I wish I would have thought to do this. I sew need a cover. It's such a great project and fits the challenge perfectly. Love your stitches and that ombre fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep it in a tickler file for a future PQ challenge!! It was such a quick and easy project, and adds some wonderful color & texture to my studio!! And yes, I love that ombre--it was one of 4 ombre fabrics that were in consideration!!

      Delete
  2. What a FUN sewing machine cover!! Looks like a great fit on your machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I am really pleased with how it all came together!! It is such a fun and happy addition to my studio!!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love your fabric choices for this! There is something so fun about the striped fabric and adding the ombré just makes it so happy. I like the pattern of the cover also, you could almost use it as an ironing pad on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy...yes I've been saving that wonderful stripe for some time now and I love, love, love ombres!! Great idea on making the cover an ironing pad!! Oh the possibilities!!

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous! I love what you've done here and what a great way to meet the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim!! It has been a wonderful addition to my studio and features many of the motifs I will be teaching in my new FMQing workshop!

      Delete

Post a Comment