Iron-On Vinyl Experiments

As part of being a Michael Miller Fabric Brand Ambassador, I received a box of goodies from Michael Miller, Aurifil, Olfa and Therm O Web.  I was especially excited to receive a roll of Therm O Web's Heat n Bond Iron-On Vinyl.  So when we got our first project assignments featuring upcoming fabric collections, I was eager to design a project that would incorporate the Iron-On Vinyl.

My fabrics should arrive soon, so I took this opportunity to get familiar with the Iron-On Vinyl and do a round of experiments. 

My first experiment was to see how easy it was to apply the Iron-On Vinyl to fabric.  The packaging includes easy to follow instructions printed on the backside.  It recommends washing your fabric, and since I am not usually a pre-washer, I pulled out a scrap of my hand dyed fabric, which has gone through several rounds of washing/rinsing.
Iron-On Vinyl Packaging and Instructions

As I peeled off the paper backing, I noticed creases develop in the Vinyl, and was worried I should have been more careful.  Once I heat set the Vinyl using medium heat, all those lines immediately disappeared for a smooth, glossy vinyl finish!
Glossy Finish

As my Michael Miller project will involve the use of dry erase markers to draw on the vinyl, I needed to conduct a few more experiments.  I wanted to see how well the dry erase markers would write on the vinyl, and just as importantly, how easy it was to remove the marks.
Dry Erase Experiments

As you can see in the photos above, the vinyl worked well with the dry erase markers both for writing and removing the marks within just a few seconds of writing.  They were still easy to remove one hour later, but I still want to test how easy it is to erase the marks if left in place for a longer period of time (say, 24 hours or more).  I use a dry erase board and notebook to doodle different free motion quilting designs, and I've noticed that when the marks are left in place for 24 hours or more, they require considerably more elbow grease and/or the use of a dry erase cleaning fluid to remove the marks completely.

Based on these first few experiments, I am very optimistic about incorporating it into my projects.  Stay tuned for more fun reveals of the new fabric line and how I will be incorporating the Iron-On Vinyl into my upcoming Michael Miller projects!!

Comments

  1. This might make a good beach bag. I know you will come up with something more interesting; you always do.
    And what a good scientist you are with your experiments and tests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many possibilities for this iron-on vinyl!! I can't wait for my fabric to arrive so I can start working on my projects-which will be beach friendly! ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!