Design Challenge Fun & Play!

Several months ago, I was asked to facilitate a hands-on Design Challenge for our quarterly SAQA NorCA/NV Regional meeting. My task was to design a challenge that would nudge these talented artists outside their creative comfort zones.  A month or so ago, I was tidying up and found a bag of old magazines and the light bulbs went off in my head.  So I gathered more magazines, and took advantage of all the back to school sales to purchase a box of Glue Sticks, Elmer's School Glue, and clear plastic tape.  The last step was drafting the Design Challenge Parameters:

  • Use magazines to create a visual work that includes layers. 
  • Project can be any size, shape, 2-D or 3-D.  
  • Tape and glue are available for construction, but not required.  
  • Use of scissors or outside tools/supplies is not permitted.  
  • You may manipulate the magazines to create texture, form, and shape ie. Rip, tear, crease, pleat, weave, crumple, etc.
  • Play with the materials and have fun!
  • Time limit:  35 minutes  

Knowing that I would be busy keeping time and taking photographs, I brought a small sample of magazines and adhesives to play during my weekly small quilt group, just a few days before I was to present at the SAQA regional meeting.  I was delighted that three fellow members opted to join the fun. After reading them the challenge criteria--they started to construct their own unique creations as shown below.  While both of my projects were mostly two dimensional, theirs were all three dimensional and fabulous! 
Design Challenge Round 1

After seeing the range of creations from this first day, I was even more excited about presenting the challenge at the SAQA regional meeting.  In fact, I was so giddy the night before, that I only got a few hours of sleep!

After a few brief announcements, it was challenge time!!  In my opening, I introduced my love of quilt challenges, how they are a significant part of my creative journey, and showcased a few benefits of participation including the opportunity to play and stretch creatively, break out of a creative rut, how deadlines holding me accountable, travel/exhibit opportunities, as well as working in a series and developing into fun new workshops. But ultimately, I wanted them to experience first-hand the benefits of working outside their own creative comfort zone and introduced them to the fun new challenge I planned. 
Artists at Play!

In less than a minute, the magazines, glue and tape were distributed and the creative frenzy began!  At first there was almost total silence all across the room, with exception to pages and images being torn out of the magazines.  As I wandered around the room, I observed collections of images, shapes, and color begin to gather at each person's station.  The next pass around, collages and sculptures were starting to form.  Soon members started to chat with their neighbors about their magazine discoveries, creative process, and their pieces.  Some members had a clear vision for their piece and went on a scavenger hunt to find the components to complete their vision.  Other members began by gathering a variety of images that intrigued them, and soon recognized a unifying theme or pattern to guide their creation.

Several members opted to work three dimensionally to create sculptures, including a rocket and a table.
Three Dimensional Creations

Several members drew inspiration from nature: flowers growing over fences, butterflies, a hummingbird, and a tree.
Inspired by Nature

Several members gravitated towards circular designs.  More than half of the magazines featured cooking recipes and baked goods, so lots of circles were to be found, and everyone's appetite for lunch grew with each page!
Circles Abound

Quite a few members created collages of interesting shapes, textures, and color.
Creative Collages

One participant noted the lack of diversity contained within the magazines as she created her human figure composed of human images.
A Picture is Worth a 1000 Words

After the 35 minutes concluded, we processed the exercise with a little show and tell.  Each table discussed what they learned from the design challenge, how they adapted to working with different tools/materials and working within set limits.  I closed by sharing a few of my favorite resources for continued challenge opportunities including:


Many thanks to Geri Patterson-Kutras for the invitation to present.  Special thanks to everyone who played with the challenge and had fun! For those who were not able to attend, I hope you will consider playing along at home by gathering up some old magazines, glue, and tape.  I'd love to see what you create!!
Creativity at Play!

Comments