Teaching & Quilting Adventures with Diablo Valley Quilters

Last week, I had the pleasure of lecturing and teaching for the Diablo Valley Quilters in Danville, CA.  My trip coincided with PG&E's Planned Power Outages which included Danville, along with most of the Bay Area in the impacted areas.  So on the drive up, I brainstormed alternatives in the event the power turned off during my lecture/trunk show.  I lucked out in beating some of the bay area traffic and hoped to visit the Danville Local Quilt shop, but discovered they had closed in anticipation of the power outage.  Luckily I found other local shopping to occupy myself until meeting up with several guild reps at Piatti's Restaurant.  We dined outside on their lovely patio, which included almost a dozen wasps/bees who were very interested in our meals.  Piatti's prints up special menus to welcome group reservations--what a nice touch!

After dinner we headed over to the church to set up for the meeting.  We arrived just as the light started to fade, so I was able to admire the technicolor stained glass windows.  The power was scheduled to go out at 8 PM, which conveniently coincided with the start time of my FMQing CREA-TV and Reality lecture/trunk show.  Thankfully the power never turned off...phew!
Pre Meeting Discoveries

PG&E announced that power outages were delayed until the following morning, which coincided with my Walking Foot WOW! workshop.  Hmmmm...a quilting class without power would certainly be a challenge, but once again I brainstormed power-free alternatives in the event of a power outage. I arrived early and had some time to hand stitch the last quilt sleeve in preparation for PIQF.
Pre Workshop Hand Work

Once again, the power cooperated and there was lots of beautiful Walking Foot WOW! quilting completed!!
Powered by PG&E Walking Foot WOW! 

One of the participants brought a special quilt top, started at my first Free Styling & Spiraling workshop.  Check out all those improv pieced squares spirangles!  Luckily she left with lots of walking foot quilting designs to complete her fabulous quilt top!!
Free Styling & Spiraling Quilt Top by Rosemary P

Many thanks to Diablo Valley Quilters for the lovely visit.  Special thanks to Judy L for being a wonderful hostess for both the lecture and workshop!!  Last but not least, thank you PG&E for keeping the power on for both the lecture and workshop!!

Comments

  1. You are so creative that I'm sure you'd have found a clever way to change the workshop. Fortunately you didn't have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann...I much prefer teaching workshops with electrical power!! But in teaching, it is always important to expect the unexpected!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!