Goal Setting for 2020

Each December I take time to reflect over the year and celebrate all the quilting adventures and quilt finishes. Almost immediately, panic starts to set in as I start to think about choosing goals for the upcoming year and wondering how can I possibly top this past year?!?!

Well, I will certainly give it my best shot by developing goals that will help me stretch my creativity and grow my quilt teaching business...


1. Make studio time a weekly priority! 
Not only do I need to schedule myself 4+ hours of dedicated studio time each week, but I need to make sure it doesn't get bumped by email, paperwork, committee work, or housework! Furthermore, I will treat these studio sessions as sacred by minimizing distractions such as phone calls, email, and social media.



2. Strengthen My FMQing Skills on my Longarm
Like any new machine or tool, there is a learning curve involved. It will take some time to get better acquainted with the maintenance, set up, and loading everything onto the frame. So far most of my quilting motifs have transferred over beautifully to the new machine, but I've noticed that additional practice is needed on microquilting and any designs involving traveling over previous lines of stitches (ie. pebbles and feathers). I'll continue my practice sessions, explore accessories, and take classes through the dealer to pick up a few more tips and tricks!


3. Write More for Publication
This year I hope to submit article ideas for publication in magazines, online journals, and even explore the possibility of writing a book. I have lots of ideas swirling around my brain and will be working to carve out time to propose content ideas on a quarterly basis.

Fellow QATV Artists: Nancy Ryan (middle) and Denise Oyama Miller (right)

4. Connect/Collaborate with Fellow Artists.
Being a full-time artist can be isolating at times. Over the past year I have especially enjoyed connecting with fellow artists during my travels, QATV tapings, quilt shows, and networking events. I hope to cultivate a few new connections with artists locally and on a global level, including artists working in entirely different mediums, and potentially forge a collaboration or two. Of course this will require me to break out of my introverted nature when attending gallery openings, artist receptions, networking events, and open studios!


5. Take More Risks and Accept Failure.
Over the past few months I find myself playing it safe and working in my comfort zone. It is time to break out of my creative rut and figure out what is next in my creative journey. That means I will need to explore new ideas, experiment with different techniques/materials, cast my net out to new venues and audiences, and stop worrying about trying to fit into a particular "box."

Cheers to a creative-filled 2020!!

Comments

  1. It's really hard to take those risks...but I have confidence in you...and maybe in me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww...thanks! It makes it easier to take a creative risk when you are surrounded by supportive quilting friends. Thanks so much!! Wishing you a happy new year!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!