Project Quilting 11.4: Birds in the Air


This week's Project Quilting challenge theme was Birds in the Air. To participate, we had one week to start and finish a quilt that used or reinterprets this traditional block at least once somewhere in our project. This season, I am having lots of fun focusing on wholecloth quilted ideas that celebrate thread play and stitching, so I was unsure how to proceed with the block requirement. 

Birds in the Air Traditional Quilt Block (rendered in Electric Quilt 8)

Feeling stumped, I decided to get some fresh air and leashed up the pups (aka Studio Assistants) for a morning walk. There is a wonderful TED Talk by Marily Oppezzo that highlights the benefits of walking on creativity. Consistent with the findings from Marily's research, less than halfway into our walk, an idea popped up for incorporating this block into a wholecloth quited color wheel. Once home from the walk, I jotted down a very rough sketch with some notes for distorting the Birds in the Air block into diamonds to create a LeMoyne Star or Hexie Star. 

As you can see from the sketch I had envisioned all the large triangles on the outside or inside of the diamonds...but sometimes technology intervenes. Oftentimes, I use Electric Quilt 8 software to explore new design ideas and different colorways. For this particular design, I created a quilt using the tumbling blocks quilt layout and went to set the Birds in the Air block into each of the diamonds. While I fully expected the block to stretch into a diamond, I was completely surprised by the alternate block layout that was generated as I set the block into the subsequent diamonds.

In my head I had only envisioned one orientation or division of the block and started to rotate the blocks to match my original plan. But here EQ was offering a much more dynamic design...so thank you EQ!!

While attending a quilting retreat weekend in the Truckee/Tahoe area with some friends back in September, one of my friend's projects called for olive colored thread for the quilting. While we each packed an extensive collection of threads for this weekend get away, none of us had any olive colored thread and the closest quilt shop was a 45-minute drive to Reno, NV. She had some chartreuse green which was too bright. Another friend had some charcoal grey which was too dark. Something clicked in my brain and I wondered if it was possible to load both threads through the top of my machine and through the eye of the needle to create a blended olive color. Curious, I made up a small sandwich and borrowed a size 100/16 Topstitch needle along with both the green and charcoal grey spools of thread to experiment with this idea. Below left you can see the results of that first experimentation with the blended grey/chartreuse combo stitched out in the top left half, followed by the chartreuse only thread in the bottom right half. 

This week's challenge was the perfect opportunity to revisit this technique and continue my experimentation of loading two threads through a 100/16 needle on sewing machine to yield all new colors and values.


As many of you know, I do not trust many of the marking pens/pencils that are often used for marking a design onto a quilt top. Instead, I prefer to use a combination of freezer paper and/or blue painter's tape. I began by drafting a diamond-shaped Birds in the Air block onto freezer paper (and testing to make sure all 6 diamonds would fit onto a fat-quartered sized quilt sandwich.  

I placed my acrylic plastic template over the freezer paper template and used a dry erase marker to find the optimal travel plan for stitching out all the lines. The freezer paper template was cut into half and loops of tape held it into position for me to stitch around each diamond, before removing one half of the diamond to then stitch the center line. The smaller lines were achieved by aligning strips of painter's tape between marks on the ruler tape and lines marked on the remaining half of the freezer paper template.

Once the blocks were all outline stitched, I changed my machine needle to a size 100/16 Topstitch Needle and began the fun of filling in each of the triangles with different thread combinations!!

Each diamond block is stitched in with different thread combinations to yield:

  • Hue aka Pure Color: Only the Color Thread (ie. turquoise) is stitched into the large triangle
  • Tint: Color Thread + White Thread into small triangle closest to center
  • Tone: Color Thread + Grey Thread into the middle small triangle
  • Shade: Color Thread + Black Thread into small triangle closest to the binding
  • Plus the white, grey, and black threads were used individually to fill in the large border triangles

Some takeaways from this experiment:

  1. Only 9 spools of threads yielded 27 different colors (hues, tints, tones, and shades!!)
  2. I wish I had just a slighly lighter value of grey thread so the tones (color+grey) would differentiate more from the shades (color+ black). At one point I explored a medium grey but it was too close in color and value to the background fabric so it looked almost identical to the large color-only triangle. I ripped out that one section and returned to the same dark pewter grey that had been previously used.
  3. Some thread colors yielded more variation when combined with the white, grey, and black threads. I suspect this has more to do with the value of the thread color vs. the color itself. While I tried to select medium values for all 6 thread colors, some colors are naturally darker in value (ie. purple), whereas yellow is almost always lighter in value.

And yes, my head is already swirling with future thread mixing experiments!!

Here is the full line up of Aurifil 50wt threads used in this experiment:
  • White #2024
  • Dark Pewter #2630
  • Black #2692
  • Fuchsia #4020
  • Neon Orange #1104
  • Canary #2120
  • Emerald #2865
  • Turquoise #2810
  • Medium Lavender #2540
A Flight of Thread Duos & Delights, Finishes 11" each side, 22" wide, 19" tall

My quilt title was inspired by tasting flights featuring a group of 3-8 wines, beers, or perhaps industrial strength margarita swirls served at one of my favorite local restaurants!

And I couldn't resist showing off the quilt back showcasing the same 9 threads used in the bobbin, stitched onto white.

Be sure to check out all the fabulous Birds in the Air interpretations made this past week as part of Project Quilting!!

Comments

  1. Wow, that is amazing! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb! This week's project was the perfect opportunity to revisit loading two threads together! I wasn't entirely sure of the process or how it would all turn out, but am so pleased with the finished design and can't wait to continue experimenting!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is fantastic! I love how you reinterpreted the block and achieved such a fun and colorful block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The challenge themes that have me most stumped tend to yield some of my favorite finishes...with this among that list!! Plus who can resist a rainbow/color wheel quilt?!?

      Delete
  3. WOW! I love how you interpreted the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I am having a lot of fun with this season and creating a series of wholecloth quilts. This project went together super fast once I had a design and game plan!!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely LOVE how you flattened out the BITA blocks and quilted them into a whole cloth Color Wheel!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! The morning walk really helped get my creative juices flowing and I am so glad EQ helped me to explore a new design possibility!! This colorwheel may just have to hang in my studio year round for color inspiration!!!

      Delete
  5. Okay, YOU are my new best friend. I love your work, and having just seen you on Quilting Arts, I feel like you are my celebrity friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the Quilting Arts TV episode...there will be another one later in this series and one more in the 2600 series! I hope you are inspired to incorporate unconventional materials into your projects, or perhaps thread mixing. Oh the possibilities!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Mel, you've done an amazing job at interpreting the Birds in the Air block. I'm also very impressed with EQ. It obviously helps to create many possibilities. Your stitching is lovely, as always. Congrats! and thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andree. I've enjoyed designing quilts in EQ but feel like I am only scratching the surface as to what this program can do. I've taken several online classes and one in person class...but would love to learn more! And I certainly have a lot of fun with the FMQing!!

      Delete
  7. I just had to pop in to see this amazing whole cloth you quilted! It is fantastic and so perfectly done. I think that is hard to do on a whole cloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping over and leaving a comment. I am really having a lot of fun focusing on wholecloth quilts for these 1-week challenges. I can jump right into the good stuff--the quilting and explore new possibilities!!

      Delete
  8. Mel, you've written an excellent explanation of your process. Lots of food for thought but I think I need to take a class with you soon. Good luck with your quilting career! We are fortunate to have you pushing us on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann!! This blog started as a way for me to reflect and document my process. I am so delighted to have others follow along in my adventures and be inspired. And I would very much enjoy having you in a future class!!

      Delete
  9. I love this! I have been doing a little more studying of quilting methods on the machine and love the effect you created. EQ8 did a nice job helping you get to this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen!! It may be hard to believe, but when I took Home Ec back in Junior High--I was actually afraid of the sewing machines and opted to do all my projects by hand. Now--I absolutely love working on the sewing machine and seeing all that it can do!! I hope you will visit again as I continue to explore and share new machine quilting possibilities!!

      Delete
  10. Wow that is so groovy how you made that all come together! I want to do something like this to practice quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris! I am having a lot of fun playing with FMQing with these wholecloth quilted challenges. Working small has a been a great way to practice and explore new techniques, without being too overwhelming or difficult to wrangle under my machine. I'd love to see what you create!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!