100 Day Project: Week 4 Update


This concludes my 4th week of participating in #the100dayproject It is amazing how quickly the time has flow and how my collection of #designsbydice has grown in number and interest. Here is my weekly wrap up of all seven 7" compositions created this past week...

22/100

22/100:

  • Some days, I start with a design idea that doesn't quite work out, as you can see in the bottom right square. Luckily I was able to salvage many of the parts and rework into a stronger composition that better utilizes the space and yielded some wonderful patterning. 
  • I chose a warm color analagous color scheme including orange, red violet, and violet. I had fun using some yummy hand dyed fabrics and playing with contrast when pairing 2 colors for each row.
  • Plus I love how the wavy lines really move your eye across the various rows.
23/100

23/100


  • Once again, I started by making bad art. I kept trying to make these quarter circles with spikes work. Finally I tossed them into the scrap bin and opted to start again.
  • Feeling stuck, I went to a place of comfort by creating a simple 9 patch grid using squares of various values of violet (say that 5 times fast!!). Once my violet squares were laid out, I started to customize each square. First I cut out square centers and used the cutouts to fill in other boxes. How about cutting out circular centers? Last but not least was using the scraps from making those starting spikey units to create some wonderful golden accents that introduce a 3rd shape and completed the complementary color scheme.
  • This particular block may have been inspired by the multitude of Zoom meetings that I've been having over the past week!

24/100

24/100:

  • For this triadic color scheme, I used the secondary colors of green, orange, and violet. 
  • I played with the background space leaving space for the larger wavy arrows to move through across the composition. To help the three arrows stand out against the sea of uniform, green arrows all moving in the same direction. I used a contrasting colors (orange and violet), as well as contrasting wavy trails that weave through the space.
  • Once again, I explored how rotating the entire block yields very different movement and feelings. Which orientation do you prefer the direction of the orange and purple arrows: heading East, West, North, or South?!?
25/100

25/100:
  • When first starting this project, I planned to create 3-4 smaller groupings of squares that could then be turned into 3-4 finished quilts to commemorate milestones in the project. Finishing the first quarter would yield 25 blocks which makes for a simple 5x5 grid. 
  • When I rolled a neutral plus one color, I noticed my collection of blocks did not include a lot of red. Of course that could be that I don't have a lot of fused red scraps, so I opted for pink scraps instead. A range of light to dark pink strips were layered into into a chinese coins layout with no plan or design in mind. From there I cut wavy edges into the sides and outlined with solid black to draw focus on the path. It reminded me of a boardwalk path, and so I surrounded it with little patches of spikey grass or shrubs. If I were to make the path design again, I would try to be more intentional with creating a sense of depth and perspective by using wider strips towards the foreground and making them increasingly narrower towards the top of the composition. 
  • This block is a great symbol for my journey along this 100 Day Project. I have no idea where it may take me as an Artist, but I am very much enjoying the process and keeping an open mind as to what may come next in this series of daily designs.
26/100

26/100:
  • I opted to mix it up a little by introducing a new background square fabric (a fabulous light to dark grey Gelato ombre) and replace Form (which tends to related to 3-dimensional work) for Size & Scale.
  • Greens were chosen for my neutral plus one color, and I couldn't resist creating a grouping of three whimsical trees that are all blowing in the breeze. The wavy black lines establish the tree trunk anchoring each tree to the ground and branches that flow up to the sky. The wavy outline of the leaves adds a touch of whimsy and movement to each tree.
27/100

27/100:
  • After rolling a complementary color scheme, I just reached for my bins of orange and blue scraps. Several of the orange fabrics were hand dyed fabrics ranging from dark red to a glowing yellow, very reminiscent of flames. I cut out and layered wavy lines vertically to simulate flames engulfing the left side. 
  • To counter the flames, I chose a variety of cool blue fabrics with water-like features including bubbles, sparkles, and transparency. Similar wavy lines were cut and layered horizontally to create rippling waves. 
  • I absolutely love this finished block and am very pleased with how it successfully captures the texture and movement of both fire and water.
28/100

28/100:
  • After rolling a neutral plus one color, I considered black & white prints with red. But then I challenged myself to use yellow plus grey, which is a color combo that I've collected over the years but rarely use in my quilting.
  • I stared and stared at my yellow & solid grey scraps and stared some more. I walked away and came back and walked away again not feeling especially inspired. But then I saw the pale yellow circle, which reminded me of a full moon.  And like that I was cutting out stars for a starry sky. I considered making some more trees, but opted for a cityscape of skyscrapers with their rows and rows of windows lit up at night.
  • This was the first time I rolled size & scale, which I played with the size of the stars in relation to the skyscraper foreground to create a more whimsical scene. 
  • Unity was established in the patterning of the skyscraper windows (all made using the yellow sheer fabrics which have some reflective qualities).
Blocks #1-25

I hope to start laying out the first 25 blocks into a quilt top sometime this week. I'll be sure to share my progress, along with the next week's worth of daily #designsbydice using my new grey background.
Blocks #26-28


Comments