100 Day Project: Week 13 Update

Week 13: Blocks 85-91

This week, I reworked my design by dice 14/100 into a finished 12" x 12" donation piece for Studio Art Quilt Associate's 2020 Benefit Auction. This block's design was inspired by the many wonderful phone calls, emails, and Zoom meetings to connect with family and friends. It will be available for purchase sometime between mid September and mid October, with all proceeds going to support SAQA's mission of promoting the Art Quilt: Mounting Fine Art Global Exhibitions, developing professional development resources for Art Quilters, and connecting members' artwork with galleries, museums, and collectors. 

"Love Lines", Finishes 12" x 12"

And 7 new designs by dice were added to the mix!! Read on for my personal reflections and corresponding quotes.
85/100

  • Magenta and purple hand dyed fabrics were used to create these rectanguar spirals. The skinnier spirals were cut out from the larger rectangle backgrounds adding for a wonderful mix of size and scale, yet they all have a similar shape, adding to the unity of this design. 
  • They reminded me of paperclips, which are much needed given the piles of paperwork in my studio!
  • "For every minute spent organizing, an hour is earned." -Benjamin Franklin, American Founding Father
86/100

  • Brown fabrics, ranging from light to dark values, were used in this achromatic/neutral color scheme. 
  • Wavy lines and spirals create the movement of the wood grain. A heart cut out in tan made for a fun accent with carved initials for Doug and I. 
  • This design reminded me of one of my all-time favorite books: The Giving Tree. "Come, Boy, sit down. Sit down and rest. And the boy did. And the tree was happy." -Shel Silverstein, The Giving Tree
87/100

  • Gold, orange, red, and magenta fabrics were used for this analogous color scheme. 
  • Jagged top surfaces create a fun texture. The different lengths float off the edges and are well balanced. Floating triangles dance and flow in between.
  • The colorful strips reminded me of the feed dogs on my sewing machine.
  • "The sewing machine joins what the scissors have cut asunder, plus whatever else comes in its path." -Mason Cooley, American writer/aphorist
88/100

  • Light to dark value greens were used in this whimsical design.
  • Simple shapes recreate the central character, as well as slightly different wavy lines to simulate the sky and water. 
  • Unity was achieved through the use of waves along the top and bottom, as well the floating squares to create the eye and dots on the creature.
  • "We know for a fact -- assuming the Loch Mess monsters exist -- they do not spend their time hiding in deep trenches. If the sightings, photos and other reports are what they claim to be then Nessie is in fact often at the surface of the lake, splashing, catching fish and posing for ambiguous photos." -Benjamin Radford, "Loch Mess Trench Spurs Monster Speculation, Discovery, 1/22/2106
89/100

  • Red-Orange and Teal were used for this complementary color scheme.
  • Concentric rings help unite this design with each layer featuring some variety in textures: wavy lines, stripes, spikes, and dots.
  • "The Sun will rise and set regardless. What we choose to do with the light while it's here is up to us. Journey wisely." -Alexandra Elle, Author/Poet
90/100

  • Blue, Blue-violet, and purple hand dyed fabrics were used for this analogous color scheme. 
  • The use of the navy fabric helps create unity between each layer of patterning and fun textures: floating squares, spikes, vertical and wavy lines, and floating triangles.
  • "Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we could learn from books." -Sir John Lubbock, Naturalist
91/100

  • Light and dark yellows were used for this monochromatic color scheme (which really pop against the blue background). 
  • Spikes, scallops, and straight lines offer a variety of edge treatments, which are repeated along each edge of the block creating a unified pattern. 
  • The yellow and blue background are well balanced so my focus shifts between seeing the yellow shapes against the blue background, and other times, the blue background pinwheel and surrounding Vs come forward. Interestingly, the very next day I participated in a presentation and exercise on Notan...how timely!!
  • "My life is part humor, part roses, part thorns." -Bret Michaels, American singer-songwriter
And that brings my total collection up to 91 blocks in 91 days...with some more fun ahead!
      Blocks 1 - 91


      Comments

      1. Nessie made me laugh. And I love your SAQA auction entry. It's sure to generate lots of interest.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Nessie made me laugh too...including the sassy quote! I'll admit that I had a hard time sending out the SAQA Auction piece as I loved it. I take comfort in knowing it will go to a great home and hopefully generate support for SAQA.

          Delete
      2. Found your blog today when I was researching Kawandi quilts - I didn't do the 100 day project this year - your blocks look awesome!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you! This is my first time participating in a 100 day project, and I am absolutely loving the journey and the results!! I am so delighted you found my Kawandi style quilt and my 100 day blocks!!

          Delete

      Post a Comment

      I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!