Project Quilting 12.2: Fussy Cut Peaces

This week's Project Quilting Challenge 12.2 Fussy Cut Challenge theme was announced while I was taking a Graffiti Jambalaya online workshop with Natalya Khorover. Natalya shared her process for using text sourced from single use plastic bags into her Ransom Letters Reformed series of fiber art. 

Playful Prototype

This is the project I started in the workshop, which included lots of fussy cut bits of text, color, and pattern. But since I started it before the challenge theme was officially announced, I decided to start a new piece for this week's Project Quilting Challenge. 

Project Quilting Pull of Materials

Over the past few week's I've amassed quite the collection of text from plastic bags, many thanks to fellow quilters who responded to my Instagram request
I Spy the Letters Fussy Cut for PeaCE

It was a bit of a scavenger hunt to find an interesting mix of colors, fonts, and sizes to spell the word Peace. Several different letters were fussy cut and auditioned until I had arrived at an interesting set.

As the plastic bags arrived in the mail, I focused on cutting out the text with little consideration to the variety of colors and/or patterns that are often featured on plastic bags. More fussy cutting was required to source the wavy rays without compromising any of the precious text. A holographic bag bag added a bit of bling and a fussy cut peace sign formed the very center.
Project Quilting Design and Process

Initially I pulled a dollar tree bag for the background which was entirely too busy. It was swapped out for a solid grey back of a bag, which dulled the rainbow rays. A solid white bag brightened the layout but it needed something more. Small 1/2" squares of grey were laid directly out onto the stabilizer and covered with the translucent white bag to create a confetti background. The rays and lettering were layered on top, concealed with a clear plastic bag sourced from my trash bin. A bit of static electricity and lots of curved safety pins held everything in place until I was able to outline stitch all the elements with free motion quilting.

A rainbow of Eleganza Perle Cotton threads by Wonderfil were used to add hand stitching along each of the rainbow rays. Peace sign fabric was spray basted onto the back as I did not want to risk melting the plastic by using iron-on fusible. 

Instead of traditional binding, Tulip Puffy Paint (which has been rebranded as Dimensional Paint) was used to conceal all the raw edges.

Thankfully, it was cloudy out this morning so I could photograph without too much glare reflecting off the plastic surfaces. 
"Fussy Cut Peaces" finishes 11" x 11"

Be sure to check out the incredible variety of fussy cut elements that were used during this week's Project Quilting 12.2: Fussy Cut Challenge


Comments

  1. LOVE THIS! It's always fun to see what you come up with for each challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim...For once I got an early start on my PQ challenge and only had to do a little hand embellishing and finishing the night before the deadline!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Awww...thank you Becky. It was a fun personal challenge to incorporate the plastic bags but I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to stitch through on both the machine and by hand!!

      Delete
  3. Very creative and pretty. I love your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was fun to explore an all new source of material for my quilting! Such a fun upcycled art project!!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow when I saw this on Facebook, I didn't realize it was plastic. I love it even more than I already did. The bad news is that when I went to the kitchen to refill my coffee, I looked around at my packaging in a whole new light. You've made it harder for me to throw away my trash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I find myself really examining our use of single use plastic and keeping quite a bit of the interesting bits out of the trash for future quiltmaking. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to stitch on plastic!!

      Delete
  5. Oh and the puffy paint idea is genius! I was looking for a quicker way of finishing these small pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very easy to do and dries overnight. The puffy paint comes in quite a few colors too so you can coordinate with your design. In fact I may order a larger set which includes a few new colors!

      Delete
  6. Your upcycled bag project is SEW perfect for this challenge... LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Several Project Quilting challenges have inspired me to incorporate unconventional materials into my projects: UNO cards, computer parts, office supplies, and other plastic recycleable bits!

      Delete
  7. wowie! Thanks for showing the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! It was fun to see this design come together. It was surprisingly easier than I would have thought to work with the plastic bags.

      Delete
  8. So interesting!!! Wow, plastic bags for fonts!! Neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--another rabbit hole to go down into--but at least this one is very low cost, if not free!! Oh the many wonderful and creative possibilities!!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a super fun quilt to create and explore upcyling single use plastic bags.

      Delete
  10. You are my inspiration for creativity, Mel. And a constant reminder to work smaller. Love the idea of puffy paint binding! I hadn't thought about your inability to iron plastic till you mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These 1 week challenges are the perfect opportunity to explore new materials, designs, and the perfect excuse to work small. Yes--I tried to avoid ironing the plastic--but a fellow quilter shared that you can actually create some very cool textures by ironing the plastic--so I may have to revisit that in a future experiment!!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you! This was a fun challenge with lots of fun exploring new-to-me materials! Glad you enjoyed and thanks for your lovely comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!