Project Quilting 12.3: Virtual Vacation

This week's Project Quilting 12.3 Virtual Vacation theme invited participants to start and finish a quilt that celebrates past vacations and/or dreams about future vacations. My expired United States Passport includes stamps from my travels to Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Poland back in 2000/2001. Alas, my new passport has yet to be stamped, so I took this opportunity to document some countries that I would like to visit once it's safe to travel again.


For the stamped pages, I used a mottled periwinkle fabric and a purple Sakura Gelly Roll pen to mark the purple grid. 


I searched around the house for items that I could use to create a circular and rectangular stamp. An old bottle cap and a Lego Minifigure Base fit the bill and were brushed with Jacquard's Lumiere Paint (Grape, Pearl Violet, Indigo, and Halo Blue Gold) and then stamped into the grid. 

While conducting several test auditions on a variety of pens, I started to compile a list of countries that were on my travel bucket list.

Selected pens include: Sakura Gelly Roll Stardust purple pen, Hybrid Dual Metallic Pens (Blue, Purple, and Green), along with a Uniball Posca Paint Pen (to add page #s 20 and 21). 

While the stamped page was drying, I shifted gears to create my Passport cover. Bright Gold Lumiere paint was applied to a Star rubber stamp as well as a smaller bottle cap and stamped onto my cover, along with several brushed lines. Passport was hand written using a Uniball Signo metallic gold pen. 

Each panel was layered with batting only and free-motion quilted using a Sulky variegated (stamped page) and a navy King Tut 40wt thread (cover).


Both quilted panels were carefully layered right sides together for assembly. I stitched around the perimeter, taking care to leave an opening for turning it right side out.

The center line was stitched to create a crease to easily close the Passport. All that was left was a little handwork to close the opening.
Passport Potential, Finishes 5" x 7" closed, or 10" x 7" open

My new official and quilted Passports are ready to head to Australia, Japan, Austria, Greece, Italy, South Korea, France, and New Zealand! I'd love to know what countries are on your travel bucket list and/or any recommendations you have for my list. Perhaps I will get a few more ideas as I check out all the amazing entries made for this week's Virtual Vacation Project Quilting 12.3 Challenge!

Comments

  1. This is such a great idea! And it turned out wonderfully. You went all out on a world tour, while most of us just chose one little location. My choices are like yours, but I would add India Norway, Spain and Portugal to your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a difficult time narrowing it down to just one destination. Those are some wonderful suggestions--I'll keep those in mind when additional stamp pages are made!!

      Delete
  2. Did you miss the link-up? I don't recall seeing your unique project there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart started to pump when I read your comment...but I just double checked and I am number 140 in the link up. Phew! Thanks for looking out for me.

      Delete
  3. As usual, you are the most clever. Are you by chance a forger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Ann. Not a forger. I was trying to create something that captured the US Passport look without violating any kind of laws. Plus I wasn't about to copy that eagle crest on the front cover as I found stars & stripes much easier to accomplish!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was a make it work moment as I started approximately 12 hours before the deadline!! Eeek! But I am really happy with the finished design.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!