SAQA Spotlight: On Your Mark...Get Set...Glow!


Studio Art Quilt Associates holds a Spotlight Auction as part of our Annual Conference festivities. This is an amazing opportunity to purchase small Art Quilts from your favorite fiber artists while supporting Art Quilting! 

I am delighted to have a piece included in the auction. Read on as I share a few sneak peeks of creating my donation along with how you can bid to win my piece (or any of the 270 unique Art Quilts donated by fellow SAQA members). 

Each piece measures 7" x 8", so I started by using blue painter's tape to outline these dimensions on a piece of clear, acrylic plastic. This window would help me plan out my composition and audition potential fabrics for scale.


I was excited to pull fabrics created as part of my 100 Days of Mark Making on Fabric project. There were many fabrics considered but there is only so many fabrics that you can pack into a small 6" x 8" composition! A variety of mark-making techniques were used to create these fabrics using the following mediums: Ecoline Brush Pens, Fabrico Markers, Dye-Na-Flow, and ProChem Silk & Fabric paints.


A small swatch of a commercial, mottled purple fabric was used along with some black Prepared for Dye Pimatex marked using popsicle sticks and a new favorite paint: Color Shift from FolkArt. This is an amazing acrylic paint with metallic accents that change color depending on the light

I had fun cutting and layering the fabrics to create the composition below...

Once everything was fused into place, some zig zag meander was free-motion quilted into the background before it was time to play with some hand-embroidered accents using WonderFil 8wt Perle Cotton. 


The quilt was trimmed to the finished size and the edges were painted with a lime green Puffy Dimensional paint. Each piece is mounted on an 8" x 10" mat with a 4.5" x 6.5” opening and placed in a clear cellophane sleeve prior to being shipped to its new home.
On Your Mark...Get Set...Glow!!, Finishes 6" x 8"

Artist's Description: Earlier this year, I embarked on a #100daysofmarkmakingonfabric project. Each day I roll the dice to explore combining different mediums and shapes to make marks on fabric. I am absolutely loving this creative journey and enjoyed layering several of my favorite mark-making designs with hand-embroidery to create this Spotlight piece.

Here is your chance to add On Your Mark...Get Set...Glow!! (item #280) to your collection. The Spotlight Auction is open for bidding for all 270 pieces. The opening bid for each piece is $20 with $5 bidding increments. Pieces will be divided up in 4 different sections, each with a different ending time on Sunday April 25 - 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, and 8pm (all times EDT). My piece is part of Table #3 which closes to all bidding at 6 PM EDT on 4/25. Be sure to register with Handbid so you can bid on your favorite pieces. Shipping costs for buyers will be calculated at the end of the auction. Customs and taxes may apply upon delivery to non-US addresses. Shipping is FREE for 6+ pieces to same address! 

I hope you enjoyed hearing a little background on my donation piece. I'll leave you with the quilt back featuring more popsicle stick printing with Color Shift paint.

Comments