100 Days of Mark Making on Fabric: Week 12

Week 12 included 2 more yards of blue mark-making on fabric. Several times I caught myself singing the lyrics "I'm blue. Da ba dee da ba di" from the song Blue by Eiffel 65 (sorry if it is playing in your head all day now too). Read on to learn more about the various products and techniques used to create these blue da ba designs...

78/100: Pens + Wavy Lines/Spirals


“How sweet to be a cloud. Floating in the blue!”
– A. A. Milne, English author, best known for his Winnie-the-Pooh books

My head was totally in the clouds as I doodled away using a blue Sakura Identi-pen and Uniball Signo pen.

79/100: Markers + Artist's Choice


More pattern play with Ecoline Brush pens to create water-like patterns: water ripples, waves, and bubbles.

“If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water.”
-Loren Eiseley, American anthropologist, educator, philosopher, and natural science writer

80/100: Textile Paints + Circles/Dots


Bubbling with excitement over hitting Day 80! Playing with acrylic paints (teal and blue) to create new textures that celebrate this mark-making milestone! The first set of designs feature textured rings from a to-go container lid and the plunger from a large syringe.

This next set of patterns were achieved by rolling a paint & clay texture roller into the paint and then rolling across my fabric. Voila!

81/100: Artist's Choice + Artist's Choice


Some much needed peace of mind mark making using Tom Bow Dual Brush Markers to layer text and peace sign symbols.

82/100: Artist's Choice + Wavy Lines


I was craving some ice cream tonight, especially as I had made a fresh batch of cookies & cream! I rolled my dice first, thinking this would provide a bit of time to mull over design ideas while enjoying my evening treat. I rolled a #1 for circles & dots, gathered my Ecoline Brush Pen markers for Artist's Choice, and then proceeded into the kitchen for ice cream. After my sweet treat, I started to doodle squiggly shapes. At first they resembled snakes but as more were made, they started to morph into stippling and then into human hands. As I layered more squiggly shapes, I reflected on how these shapes related to my day and was quite pleased with the finished designs. Not until I returned to the studio to take my photos, including documenting the original dice roll, did I realize that I had completely forgotten that tonight's dice roll was supposed to feature circles and dots. Whoops! Guess we'll call this one wavy lines!

83/100: Watercolor Crayons + Circles


"Do not fear mistakes. There are none." -- Miles Davis

More Marabu Art Crayon play starting with circles...
  • Drawing and then misting with water (left top and bottom photos)
  • Misting with water, drawing, and misting again (top middle)
  • A bit of paint pigment got onto the protective plastic sheets and transferred onto a clean piece of fabric. Instead of seeing this as a mistake, I proceed to draw more circles directly onto the plastic template (top right photo), mist with water to activate, and then place my piece of Prepared for Dye fabric on top! I was pretty excited by this technique and repeated with more rings of paint to create these water-ripple designs! (bottom middle and right photos)

“Just as ripples spread out when a single pebble is dropped into water, the actions of individuals can have far-reaching effects.” ~ Dalai Lama.

84/100: Textile Paints + Wavy Lines


Playing with Jacquard Lumiere paints to creating wavy textures and prints:
  • Potato Masher (top middle)
  • Rubber combs (bottom middle, top and bottom right photos)
  • And cleaning off the foam brush (bottom left)--which I accidentally left behind when transporting everything back into the studio for the photoshoot/post to Instagram. Oops!

And with these prints, I am waving goodbye to blue...

Here are all 31 yards of mark-making magic created thus far in my 100 Days of Mark Making on Fabric!

Comments