100 Days of Mark Making on Fabric: Week 14

Another week of purple play resulting in nearly 2.5 more yards of original fabric and a few new mark-making techniques which I will outline below...

92/100: Going Rogue!


Time for a Potpourri of Purple Paint & Play Part 1 (say that 5xs fast!!) involving painting with ProChem Pro Silk & Fabric Paint and Dye-Na-Flow with Pole Wrapped Shibori (1, 2, and 3). Today I experimented with some new folding/wrapping to create some really exciting designs, as well as misted the fabric with water prior to painting.

I applied a bit too much paint, so I used some extra squares to catch any dripped paint. I am so happy with the results, including these catch-all fabrics!

While waiting for the shibori fabrics to dry, I moved onto Potpourri of Purple Paint & Play Part 2: Painting with Color Shift metallic acrylic paints (Purple, Plum, and Green Flash) using 4 different mark-making applications:

1. Stamping with texture stamps and a dauber.

2. Foam rollers to create cool repeating gridded and lined patterns (it is amazing how different some of the Color Shift paints appear on black vs. white pimatex PFD fabric!)


3. created my own stamp by cutting wedges from craft foam with adhesive backing onto 1/2 of a compact disc (I will definitely be making more of these!!)
4. cleaning off the dauber to create circles (right)


93/100: Markers + Quadrilaterals

Today's mark-making involved Tombow Dual Brush Pens and Ecoline Brush Pens to create a trio of quadrilateral designs. I had a bit of fun creating a short poem to capture my design inspiration and process:

Gathered my purple mark-making supplies,
to create rectangle designs after a few tries.
Started with french and crinkly fries,
Before overlapping for a wonderful surprise!

94/100: Watercolor Blocks + Circles/Dots


Thanks to Julie Fei-Fan Balzer of @balzerdesigns for her watercolor prints tutorial using Inktense water soluble blocks and foam stamps. I didn't have any foam stamps, so I adapted for use with bubble wrap, Lego plate, and pressed vinyl mats featuring mostly circle/dot patterning. I will definitely be revisiting this technique again.

95/100: Pens + Triangles

"I'm interested in having fun with ideas, throwing them up in the air like confetti and then running under them."
-Ray Bradbury, American author and screenwriter

Doodling two different triangle designs using a Sakura Gelly Roll purple pen and Uniball Signo black pen.

96/100: Textile Paints + Circles/Dots


After finishing a stick of deodorant, I was intrigued by the oval base of the packaging and saved it for stamping. Let's just say that I didn't sweat over tonight's mark making!!


The last print on white PFD is cleaning remaining Color Shift acrylic paint off the dauber. Why let it go to waste when I can get one last square of fabric!?!

97/100: Markers + Artist's Choice


Tonight started with using Tombow Dual Brush Pens and Ecoline Brush Pens to mark spirals and spirangle designs. As I went to photograph them, I started to wonder what might happen if I spritzed them with rubbing alcohol. You can see the transformation below each marked design!

The transformation is pretty electric!
"Growth is a spiral process, doubling back on itself, reassessing and regrouping." 
-Julia Margaret Cameron, British Photographer

98/100: Textile Paint + Triangles


Using circles (CD with sticker-backed craft foam) and squares (cut from to-go container) to create stamped triangle designs. A Glitterific paint was mixed in with a solid purple acrylic paint to create a sparkling purple paint for stamping.

"Arithmetic! Algebra! Geometry! Grandiose trinity! Luminous triangle! Whoever has not known you is without sense!"
--Comte de Lautreamont, French Poet

This concludes my 2 weeks of studying purple, the final color in this series. My grand total is 35.5 yards of fabric and there are still two more days remaining in my 100 Days of Mark Making on Fabric.  



Comments

  1. This is fun, watching you experiment.

    I know an elementary school art teacher in Nashville who does faux shibori with folded fabric (paper?), markers, and rubbing alcohol. It takes advantage of the same effect you found on day 97.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, very cool. I may need to play more with some paper--I suspect many of the techniques would work equally well on fabric and paper. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!