100 Days of Hand-Carved Stamps: Week 2 Update


Week 2 of my 100 Days of Hand Carved Stamps included more carving/stamping fun and lots of learning along the way. Eight new stamps were carved over the course of the week...


I invite you to continue reading to learn more about the inspiration behind each of these carved stamps and to see them printed out into different patterns...

8/100: Triangle + Repeating Pattern

"The desire for symmetry, for balance, for rhythm in form as well as in sound, is one of the most inveterate of human instincts."
-Edith Wharton, American Novelist

Two of my design inspiration categories appear to be very similar in name and I thought I would provide a bit of clarification: 

  • Pattern/Reptition is when you take a shape and repeat it ie. a row or grid of boxes, lines, circles, arches, etc.  
  • Repeat patterns are repeatedly printed but the magic appears as new shapes/designs emerge as the edges of the carved stamp connect and repeat. These carved designs involve a bit more planning and precision to ensure the elements along the edges align when you go to print them. But the reward is sooo worth it when these new shapes and designs emerge in the printing process, as you will see in the carved stamp below. 



Individually it is an interesting composition...but watch what happens when you carefully align the edges into the various configurations. The original stamp design is difficult to disguise--although the ghost prints certainly help make it a bit easier.

I am exploding with design ideas after stamping this triangle design!!

9/100: Circle/Arch + Pattern/Repetition

"All experience is an arch, to build upon."
-Henry Brooks Adams, American Historian

I do love using arches in my fiber art so it was only a matter of time until I was adding arches into my carving repertoire!! There were so many different configurations that I just kept playing with color and overlapping...

10/100: Leaf + Pattern/Repetition

"I've seen a jillion miracles. They're all around. Every green leaf is a miracle.”
- Jimmy Dean, American country music singer, actor, and creator of the Jimmy Dean sausage brand.

This was my first leaf roll so the first step was figuring out a uniform shape/size to use as a template for carving similar shapes. Using uniform shapes/sizes provides the opportunity to mix and match in future printing sessions. A small mason jar lid worked perfoectly for creating the mirror image arcs to create a leaf shape.

Now that I've turned over a new leaf, I am looking forward to carving more leafy designs ahead...

11/100: Circle + Repeat Patterns

"A creative project is a moving target. You never end up where you start."
-Evangeline Lilly, Canadian Actress and Author

I am super excited by the direction this 100 Days of Hand Carved Stamps is already taking me!! Here was another repeat pattern roll which I had never done starting with a circle. It made for a fun challenge to create a carved circle stamp that uses the negative space to create a square grid and other exciting shapes!

12/100: Skinny Rectangle/Repeat Patterns

"I am still on my zigzag way, pursuing the diagonal between reason and heart."
-Ruskin Bond, Indian Author

This was a fairly simple stamp to carve but creates some fun zig zag and chevrom patterns, in addition to dimension! A traditional rail fence quilt block provided lots of pattern inspiration, especially for using ghost prints (printing the stamp twice before reloading with ink to create a dark and light impression)

On my zig zag way with tonight's carving/stamping play!

13/100: Artist's Choice + Nature

"Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby."
-Langston Hughes, American Poet and Social Activist

We usually experience lots more rain here in Northern California this time of year but are still in a drought. I hoped to conjure up a bit of rain by carving out two small rain drop shapes from a couple of scrap bits of soft carving block. 

The stamping process unleashed a creative storm of patterns and layouts, including a few mandala-like designs. I am curious weather you recognize past stamps joining tonight's rain dance?

14/100: Triangle + Artist's Choice

"A lot of times life is spinning so fast around you that you kind of think it's out of control and that's when you need to slow down a little bit and take a break."
-Zdeno Chara, Slovak professional ice hockey athlete

Slowing down a bit thanks to this evening's carving/stamping session. Another repeat pattern which was fairly simple in design but really exciting once printed out using ghost prints. Those carved lines really add energy to this printed pattern!

Each night I stamp out on paper to work out the various patterns, an index card to create a catalog of my stamps, and finally a page in a small journal. Here are the first 14 pages in my journal...

Follow my daily carving/stamping progress on Instagram and/or Facebook and back here for more weekly carving & stamping updates...




Comments

  1. I love to watch your brilliant neverending imagination and your skillful hands at work and at play, and follow along! Wondering what you material you like best for carving your stamps, and what carving tools you like. I have some old linocut tools around somewhere... Everything you do, you make it look enticing and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you!! I am very much enjoying this new creative journey! I purchased a few Pfeil carving tools which I really love...although from time to time I still use my Speedball tool which has several carving tips. And I am using a variety of soft carving blocks--they all seem to carve well and hold up...but it is still early in my process. I hope you are inspired to revisit your carving tools!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!