100 Days of I Spy Dice Designs: Goals and Set Up


#The100DayProject kicks off today! This will be my 4th time participating in this global, online art project and my 6th 100 day project involving dice!

The start/end time tends to shift from year to year with this year's project running February 22nd through June 1st. As I checked my calendar, I quickly realized that I have 3 big trips scheduled that will have me out of my studio for 22 of the 100 days. As two of these trips involves flying, I will be unable to bring my sewing machine which was required for my original project idea. I was initially disappointed but knew I could always revisit this idea later in the year. 

With a bit of a mindshift change, instead of looking at these trips as a barrier to participation, I came up with a game plan that would be portable, stretch my creativity, and celebrate the design inspiration awaiting me on these 3 trips!

Introducing 100 Days of I Spy Dice Designs...


My goals for participation include:
I Spy the design elements in my surroundings and photograph for design inspiration
I Spy and use various sources of fodder to create 2-page spread as inspired by my selected photo (with a placeholder for the inspiration photo)
I Spy for quotes/text to practice my lettering skills within each spread

I will be posting to Instagram and Facebook daily with my inspiration photo, spread, and quote, followed by a blog post to celebrate each board book finish (approximately every 10 days)

Here are some of the supplies I spied and gathered from around my studio and more may be added to the mix as my project progresses:
10 small board books (each page measures ~3.5" x 4")
My smartphone's camera
Assorted mixed media supplies: paper/fodder, paint/markers/pens, stamps, glue, scissors, glue/gesso/matte medium, block printing, brushes, fabric, etc

And then I'll head to my local copy/printer store to print out the inspiration photos to add to my book every 10 days or so to complete each book.

Day 1/100: Shape + Artist's Choice

When life hands you lemons...use them for shape inspiration!

After my photography walk about, I started sorting through my mail and was delighted by all the yellow fodder to be discovered along with a few pops of blue and green. 
For my hand lettered text, I chose "Easy, Peasy, Lemon, Squeezy" which I think may have jinxed me as there were lots of oops and redos required on both the lettering and the layout. I suspect this will get easier as I get familiarized with this small format and find my groove.

I started with page 2 and love how it finally came together...

Here is the companion page with the inspiration photo, bringing some of the elements over from the previous page...

And here they are side by side:

Seeing all these lemons left me craving a Lemon Drop Martini...

Cheers to 100 Days of I Spy Dice Designs!

I hope you'll join me on this creative journey as I'll be posting using #100daysofiSPYdicedesigns


Comments

  1. Fabulous concept!!! 👍Dawn Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you---I'm having fun with these weekly I Spy creations, especially after my week of teaching down at Asilomar which provided lots of beautiful design inspiration!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!