Block Printed & Stitched: Limelight & Delight

My block printed & stitched series continues with this fifth finish. A square of Evolon was faux dyed with ProChem ProSilk and Fabric paints before some improvisational block printing using my growing collection of hand carved stamps.


It was fused with a layer of cotton batting as it awaited its turn in the limelight for stitching! 

Here are some threads and sequins I pulled out for this mandala, although many more were added to the mix.

For this mandala design, I took a few alternate approaches with the stitching:

  • I skipped the initial round of free-motion quilting and dove right into hand embroidery. In fact, free-motion was the last set of stitching added to this mandala design!
  • Instead of starting in the center and working my way out, I skipped ahead to the second and third rings while I considered options for stitching the block printed rose center which was done on the second day.
  • Thanks to a friend who generously shared her collection of embroidery threads which introduced me to using a combination of 12wt threads (Aurifil and Wonderfil Spagetti) for some finer stitches, along with Razzle and Dazzle threads also by Wonderfil which added wonderful sheen and sparkle.

Once the ogee shape was stitched, my daily progress slowed down considerably as I figured out how best to stitch the clam shell fans. I spent well over an hour researching and auditioning different stitches. I even made two practice stitches which were immediately removed as they were not a good fit. The next day I did some simple stitches inside the fans to which I then tried wrapping another thread in and around the threads. After auditioning several thread combinations, I opted for blue Razzle. I loved the striped effect up close, but wasn't so sure when I stepped back. The raspberry and blue threads twisted together to create purple bands which wasn't quite what I was expecting. I almost ripped it all out but decided to sleep on it and revisit in the morning with fresh perspective.

Still unsure about the stitched arches, I moved forward by outlining the circle perimeter with a Stanley FatMax Giant Compass, followed by topstitching just inside the pencil lines. Next I added some stitching and sequins around the outer ring. Interestingly, the stitched arches didn't bother me as much. 

Next up was adding seed stitches along the perimeter using a variegated 8wt Perle cotton thread which added a festive feel. The final set of stitching was done via free-motion quilting to embellish and outline the clam shell fans. I was nervous I might snag one of the nearby sequins or seed stitches with my open toe foot, but it was surprisingly easy.

Here is the backside of the stitching.

This was layered and fused with Pellon 70 Peltex® Sew-In Ultra Firm Stabilizer and a quilt back.
Care was taken to fuse along the edges without melting the sequins. Once the fusing was complete, two passes of topstitching were done around the perimeter. 

With the circle stitched and reinforced, I could then carefully trim around the perimeter and finish the edges with an electric blue Tulip dimensional fabric paint. 

I'm always amazed at how the block printed designs are transformed with stitching as evidenced by the before and after photo mosaic below.

Here are all the threads and supplies used as part of this mandala transformation.

Check out all that incredible stitched texture!


And here is the finished block printed & stitched mandala...
"Limelight & Delight", Finishes 12.5" x 12.5"




Comments

  1. That is beautiful! This might be your best one yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am having so much fun with this series and learn so much from each finish!

      Delete
  2. This is quite amazing and beautiful in every way! How did you control the flow of the fabric paint to apply it so perfectly to the edges?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!