Block Printed & Stitched: Peace OMind

 
Time to share the 7th finished in my series of Block Printed & Stitched series of wholecloth art quilts layered with painted and block-printed Evolon, free-motion quilting, hand embroidery, and sequins.

Enjoy watching the transformation from painted evolon, through block printing, stitching, and finishing. 


Most mandalas start by pulling out and auditioning a large assortment of threads and sequins. Inevitably more sequins and threads are always pulled out as the project progresses but these help me get started.

Here are just a few of the many sequin auditions. I do love adding bling to my mandalas!

Night after night, my mandala filled with stitched texture using an assortment of threads, sequins, and stitching: colonial knots, backstitching, and whipped backstitching. 

After a week of making daily progress, I hit a wall on how to stitch the remaining outer rings and so I hit a pause on this project.


After a month-long break, I brought out the partially stitched mandala and gathered some new sequins and threads to play again. After a few auditions, new design possibilities presented themselves and I was back to stitching and embellishing. 


Less than 24 hours after pulling it of its time-out, I even managed to trim and finish the edges.

It's always amazing how a little time off provides a fresh perspective! I always love seeing the before and after stitching photos!

I wish you could reach into your screen to touch all this incredible stitched texture!

And here is the finished block printed & stitched mandala...
Peace OMind, Finishes 12.5" x 12.5"

I've got a few more block printed squares of evolon and I am brimming with more ideas for a new series of block printed and stitched designs! Stay tuned!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Awww...thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed this block printed & stitched mandala!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!