100 Days of Making and Mailing ATCs: Set Up and Goals


Woo hoo! I am excited to kick off a new 100 day project starting February 18th! This year's project will be 100 days of making and mailing Artist Trading Cards aka ATCs. ATCs are small 2.5" x 3.5" sized artworks that can be exchanged, swapped, and/or traded with others. 


So between February 18 and May 27th, my goal is to make one or more ATCs each day to exchange with others all around the world. Once again, I'll be rolling the dice to prompt me with different artist combinations. 

The first colum with the white die will determine a source of fodder:
1. book papers
2. deli paper/tissue paper
3. envelopes
4. made fodder
5. scraps
6. artist choice

The second column with the black die will determine which medium/technique I will layer over the fodder:
1. block printing/stamping
2. ink (spray/acrylic/indian)
3. markers/pens
4. paints (acrylic/watercolor)
5. paper punches
6. artist choice

To set me up for success, I've started to gather and prepare some of the supplies to help me make and mail ATCs. Most of my ATC's will be made on a base of watercolor paper. I have a pad of it ready to go for days where it may be advantageous to make a whole sheet and subcut into 8 ATCs. For days where I may be pressed for time, I've subcut the watercolor paper into smaller sizes including the standard 2.5" x 3.5" ATC size. I designed a special label to affix to the backside of each ATC which includes my information, the day, and dice roll. Plus I have my handy corner punch to round those corners! Each ATC will be attached to a smaller notecard using photo corners. This small basket is well stocked with a colorful assortment of A2 envelopes measuring 4 3/8" x 5 3/4" which have already been stamped with my return address. I've stocked up on forever USA stamps as well as several global stamps as the 100 day project is a global event with thousands of artists participating all around the world. 

To help me organize all the ATCs that will be going out and received in exchange, I've organized a binder. Inside is a copy of my game plan and a log to track my daily dice rolls and total number of ATCs created. There is a log to help me track who I will be exchanging ATCs--both outgoing and hopefully incoming ATCs! I'll also be tracking city/state/country as well as I'd love to exchange with artists in all 50 US states and as many countries around the world. The majority of the binder is filled with protective pages to display 9 ATCs per page. 

Y'all are invited to join me on this journey in several ways:
  • Join the #The100DayProject It is a free, global art project that takes place online. Every year, thousands of people all around the world commit to 100 days of creating. Anyone can participate in one or all one hundred days! 
  • Join me in making and mailing ATCs. You can download a free copy of my game plan from my Design by Dice gallery to use as is and/or adapt to include your favorite materials/techniques.
  • Follow my daily progress on Instagram where I'll post my daily dice rolls and ATC creations using the hashtag #100daysofmakingandmailingATCs
    I'll also post the ATCs received and tag the artists along with their general location. 
  • Last but not least, I invite you to exchange an ATC with me! I'll be making at least 100 ATCs throughout the duration of this project--and likely to make many more to exchange! I'm still sorting out how I will coordinate the exchange process--most likely via Instagram by leaving a comment that you are interested in exchanging for one of the posted ATCs. If selected, I will DM you directly to exchange mailing addresses. My plan is to include a bit of bonus fodder as well from my studio to incorporate into your own art! 
I'm excited to see what this new adventure will inspire me to create!



Comments