Swaps and Challenges

As I wait for the final step of the McCalls Mystery Challenge...I joined a few more quilt challenges and swaps:
----------
The Bay Area Modern Quilt Guild distributed swatches of Echo fabrics and charcoal solid for members to make something for...ourselves! 
All for me, me, me!
I already made the cathedral window tote bag using 2 of the fabrics, and my little sewing caddy using the blue plaid print, but want to make something else using all 4 swatches...and thinking of a little zipper bag for the April deadline.
----------
BAMQG also hosted a pillow swap where each member stuffed a paper bag full of fabric scraps which was exchanged for another bag of mystery member's scraps to be made into a pillow for our April meeting.
Royal Scraps
I see so many wonderful pillow tutorials and wonder if my work could ever measure up to the cuteness of these adorable fabrics.  I am thinking of making cathedral window blocks to showcase the cute castle/royalty fabrics?!?  I may also try to make a toothfairy pillow case as I got a little note that these scraps were leftover for a quilt for the member's son.
----------
Then I joined Contemporary Quilt and Fiber Artist this weekend and participated in an "Under the Sea" fabric exchange where each member brough 20 fused scraps that evoke an ocean feel:  fish, water, shells, coral/algae, etc and swapped them for more to be made into an art quilt for our May meeting. 

I'd like to be...under the sea...
I've never attempted an art quilt, so this will be a new and exciting challenge.  I've got a few quirky ideas rather than making a basic aquarium scene.  But plenty of time for brainstorming.
----------
And then my primary quilt guild launched a Crazy Elegant Quilt Challenge in November using all 21 very diverse fabrics included:  silks, polyesters, upholstery, velvets and some quilters cottong with very floral patterns.
Crazy Assortment of Fabrics
The total perimeter may not exceed 100", and it must use at least 2 square inches of each of the 21 fabrics which may be supplemented with only 2 fabrics of our choice.  I've got a giant list of ideas...but need to actually start cutting into this crazy assortment and creating for the June deadline. 
----------
And then I hope to try my hand at making Artist Trading Cards to swap with fellow CQFA members.  The president so generously gave me one of hers to start my collection and provide some ideas.
Artist Trading Cards
I have all these projects laying out across any surface in my studio to help drum up some ideas and hopefully motivation to cut and start sewing!  Wish me luck.

Comments