Everything Old is New Again Block Challenge #1: Flying Geese

Modern Quilts Unlimited is teaming up with Michael Miller Fabrics to launch the "Everything Old is New Again Block Challenge."    Each month, participants are invited to use Michael Miller fabrics create an updated, modern 12.5" block based on a traditional quilt block.

The inaugural block was flying geese.  Almost immediately, I sketched out an idea with spinning borders containing a row of triangles/flying geese.

With a design in mind, I went to work selecting my fabric palette and found some great prints in the
Lagoon collection.  I then ordered some Marine and Starfruit polka dots, along with Cotton Couture solids in Marine, Acid, Bright White and Clay--and hopefully enough yardage to complete all 12 monthly block challenges with extra for putting them all together into a finished quilt.

While I waited for my fabrics to arrive, I used EQ7 to draft up the final block layout, which would be paper pieced.
Drafting, fabric selection, paper pieced and EQ7 Mock Block
  Here are pics of the pieced block (paper still to maintain the shape/structure while I tackle the upcoming 11 monthly block challenges)
My "North, South, Geese, West" pieced block
Starting August 11th through the 14th, you can vote online for your favorite modern Flying Geese block!  And August 15th kicks off the next month's block challenge!

Comments