PIQF 2016

Last week was back to back quilting adventures with my Las Vegas visit followed by Pacific International Quilt Festival.  After my lecture/trunk show, I returned to my hotel room to find text messages from fellow guild members congratulating me on my Honorable Mention ribbon awarded to my "Orange You Glad I Got the Blues?" quilt.  So even though I was a little tired from waking up early to catch my return flight home, upon landing in San Jose, Doug and I grabbed a quick lunch and then proceeded to the Santa Clara Convention Center to check out the show and see my quilts.       
Quilts!  Quilts!  Quilts!
I was excited to have three quilts on display this year:

  • Orange You Glad I Got the Blues--Wall Hanging category (top)
  • Rhthym & Blues--Wall Hanging category (bottom left)
  • Always Follow Your Heart--New Modern Quilt Competition/New Quilts of Northern California (bottom right)

There were so many amazing quilts on display...and I spent almost 3 days walking up and down the aisles admiring and photographing so many wonderful designs, color combinations, techniques and stunning quilting motifs.

In addition to all the aisles of quilt exhibits, there was the merchant's mall packed with vendors.  I showed great restraint but did pick up a few packages of needles, batting and of course some fun new fabrics including some modern prints, more luscious Cherrywood solids and Kaffe prints.  
PIQF Purchases
This is the first year I did not register for any workshops, but I was sure to treat myself to a ticket for Laura Wasilowski's humorous, musical and colorful lecture:  The Not So Accurate History of Fusing.  I took her Woven Flower Baskets workshop last year and she is such a wonderful artist, teacher and entertainer.

After 3 consecutive days of attending PIQF...I finally reached my saturation point.  On my last day, I picked up on some final quilting inspiration compliments of the adjacent parking garage!  Each level had brightly colored half-square triangles along the various support columns, stairwells and elevators!  I missed the basement and top levels, but was sure to capture these images as I made my way from the convention center back to my parked vehicle.
Lots of Quilting Inspiration!!

Comments