Mea Culpa

"Spinning Stars", 72" x 72"
I've been so excited to finish and reveal my "Spinning Stars" quilt entry for Modern Quilts Unlimited "Everything Old is New Again" quilt challenge.  This has been a labor of love for the past year and a half.  I proudly posted the individual block challenges on my blog, as well as the final reveal and request for votes via my blog and facebook pages.  This past week, "Spinng Stars" made its public debut as part of my "Challenge Yourself!" lecture/trunk show with two different quilt guilds.  And just yesterday, I brought it to my small quilt group for them to ooh and ahh over.
And today, I learned that my "Spinning Stars" quilt exceeds the size limit per the challenge rules!   Somehow I totally overlooked the challenge rule that "quilt sizes should not exceed 60" on any side" as mine finishes 72" x 72".  Well, my heart just sank and you can probably imagine the range of emotions I experienced upon this little discovery:  dumbfounded, sadness, guilt, disappointment, embarrassment and anger, mostly directed at myself for not taking the time to double and triple-check the challenge rules.  

As part of my "Challenge Yourself!" lecture, I reinforce the importance of reading the challenge rules, and here I am not heeding my own advice!  While I would like to say that at least I did not intentionally make my quilt larger, I am pretty embarrassed with myself for not double and triple- checking the rules designing the layout, piecing, quilting or binding my quilt!!    
Gotta walk the walk, not just talk the talk!

Within minutes of discovering my error, I emailed the MQU magazine editor informing her of my mistake and asking for direction as to how best to proceed.  As I await her response, I have done considerable reflection on my unfortunate situation.  It is certainly a painful lesson to learn, but on a positive note, I am trailing far behind in votes for my quilt...so the odds of winning were certainly not in my favor.  

Another positive note is that I now have one more quilt challenge misadventure to share as part of my "Challenge Yourself!" lecture/trunk show with hopes that others may learn from my mistake and not have to experience such disappointment.  

Last but not least, I hope this will not be the end all, be all for "Spinning Stars."  Given how much time and energy I've invested in this beauty, I had planned on entering it into national juried quilt shows and competitions where it will have the opportunity to be judged in person based on its design and techniques used.  And yes, I will be sure to double and triple check the quilt show entry rules before entering my quilt!!!   ;-)

Comments

  1. Yep, I've done this before. I was fortunate in that I was still allowed to have my too-small quilt in the exhibit even though I somehow overlooked the size requirements. Your quilt is still really incredible, and it's a great idea to enter it in other contests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Afton for your nice comment. While I am sorry to hear it happened to you too...it is nice to know I am not alone. Will look to enter it into some upcoming shows and hopefully make up for this silly error!

      Delete
  2. My heart sank for you, too, when I saw your dimensions! I can imagine how upset and disappointed you were, but you are right, it should be judged on its merits. Spinning Stars is an exquisite piece and executed beautifully. Each and every block complements the other so well. I have no doubt that there are awards in its future. It would also make a wonderful block of the month quilt for a certain magazine. Even though we have not met in person, I'm honored to call you a friend and admire your work so much. Chin up, be proud, and keep on quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie...I've greatly enjoyed getting to know you through these challenges and develop a virtual friendship. Your designs have certainly pushed me to put my best work forward. I hope you too will consider entering your quilt into shows as it is spectacular, especially all that beautiful quilted texture!!

      Delete
  3. Oh Mel, this is crushing! I admire you so much for being such an excellent designer and quilter as well as being able to see the bigger picture and benefit from this event. I don't think I could use this experience as a positive one until much, much later. The work and artistry you put into this quilt WILL pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Joni...your kind words are greatly appreciated as I pick myself up, brush myself off and get back to quilting! This is just a little blip on my quilting journey!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!