Slice of Improv Finishes

Improvisational piecing is a lot of fun, but I recognize that it can be a little intimidating for some quilters.  So in my Slice of Improv workshops, I set out to demonstrate just how freeing, forgiving and FUN the slice and insert improvisational piecing technique can be!!  We start out with the basic technique and then introduce simple variations that lead to exciting design opportunities!  Each block is an original work of art.

Check out these latest works of art started in one of my Slice of Improv sessions:
  
First up is Josephine's pink and purple quilt top.  She used a lovely assortment of pink and purple scraps with different values & textures which causes her quilt top to simply sparkle!!  And I love how she set her blocks into columns separated by a thin strip of pink.  It is just lovely!! 
Josephine's Pink & Purple Pizazz
Elaine surprised me by bringing her quilted/bound quilt to our guild's meeting show and tell!!  She backed it with a super plush fleece and quilted rows of quilted spirals.  She will be entering this fun quilt into our quilt guild's upcoming quilt show on April 1st and 2nd (mark your calendars!!)  where I hope it will be part of the children's scavenger hunt given her super fun use of the animal print border!!  Speaking of the border print--it helped inspire Elaine's title for this fun quilt: Space Jungle!!

Elaine's Space Jungle





























Donna Embraced Improvisational Piecing and Quilting!!
Donna also surprised me by bringing her finished improv quilt to a recent quilt guild meeting!  Donna inherited a bundle of teal 1" strips that keep resurfacing as part of our guild's UFO exchange.  I inherited them in the first UFO exchange and made 3-4 quilts but still had leftovers and brought them to the next year's UFO exchange where lucky Donna found them and used them to create this fabulous improv piece!!  Not only did Donna master improvisational piecing but she also incorporated improvisational quilting to add so many fun textures into her background!!   I just love it!!


























Aren't these quilts absolutely fabulous?!?   Guess what--they are fun to make too and make great use of your scraps and schnibbles!  Great news is that I have a few more full-day workshops coming up in my teaching schedule!!
I hope you can join me and experience just how freeing, forgiving and FUN improvisational piecing is!!

Comments

  1. These will be fun additions to the quilt show April 1 and 2. Your students are always excited about your classes, Mel. I can't wait to take one with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun additions indeed!! I get pretty excited about the classes and all their amazing creations. So much fun!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!