Walking Foot Fun & Quilting Inspiration Down in Monterey

Earlier this month, I had the pleasure of visiting with the Monterey Peninsula Quilters Guild for a lovely 2.5 days in beautiful Pacific Grove, CA.  I stayed in the historic Centrella Inn, where I was a short walk away from fun restaurants, shopping (including Back Porch Fabrics--which I could see from my bedroom window and was sure to visit!!!) and the ocean.
Lovely Sights Courtesy of Pacific Grove
As I explored Pacific Grove, I soon realized there was quite a bit of quilting inspiration all around, especially at the ground level...
Fabulous Quilting Inspiration All Around and on the Ground!
Quite a few of these linear designs fit in nicely with my Walking Foot WOW! workshop designs!!

I had Monday morning/afternoon off to explore the Monterey area and had a chance to explore the Garland Ranch Regional Park for a walk about.
Garland Ranch Regional Park Welcome & Messages Found on Benches
As I wandered the park, I found beautiful lines, patterns, textures and shapes!
Garland Park Lines, Pattern & Shapes
And I also found some lovely color combinations compliments of Mother Nature.  I am really drawn to the red/green color combination and loved this colorful shrub (below left) near the Visitor's center.  I was also drawn to these beautiful red/green leaves (below right) I kept finding along the trails.  Luckily I kept my distance and only took photographs as I quickly recognized it as Poison Oak!  I also loved the subtle beauty of this one tree's neutral palette bark (below center).
Colorful Inspiration
My dear friend Kathrin arranged for an afternoon Quilt Studio Tour around Carmel Valley, starting with catching up at her fabulous home studio!!!  From there, we visited Mary Parsonage's home studio which overlooks her family's vineyard.  After a mini quilt show (including several quilts made as part of quilt challenges), we had a chance to visit the wine production area and visit the Tasting Room which is adorned with Mary's quilts/art (which are also featured on each bottle's label).  One last studio tour of Janyce's home, which included a bed turning featuring some pretty spectacular quilts, many of which were pieced and/or quilted by hand.  I just loved all the love and details that Janyce lovingly stitched into each gorgeous quilt!! 

After the Studio Tours, we were off to meet up with more guild members for dinner (aka Happy Hour) and then off to the guild meeting where I presented my Challenge Yourself! lecture/trunk show.  As I was setting up, several of the quilters from the previous day's Walking Foot WOW! workshop popped over to show off their quilted samplers & Mod Molas!!  Thank goodness too, because in the fun and excitement of the workshop, I completely forgot to take any pictures!!
Walking Foot WOW Samplers (including some Mod Molas!)
After my talk, many of the members proudly displayed their samplers as part of Show and Tell!!  I was delighted to see so many had progressed from the day before into finished and bound quilts!!  Each is truly a work of art and is filled with gorgeous quilted texture!!
Walking Foot WOW! Show and Tell--Special Thanks to Guild Photographer C. Toth for Sharing Pictures
WOW!!  What an absolutely lovely visit filled with friendship, inspiration and fun!  Thank you Monterey Peninsula Quilters Guild!!

Comments