Fearless Quilting Fun with Katie Fowler

Having a break in my teaching schedule presents the perfect opportunity to tackle some of my many (almost 20) UnFinished Objects that are scattered about my studio.  Earlier this month, I tracked them all down and started working on several of them.  Early this morning, I managed to complete my first UFO finish:  A sampler started back in April in Katie Fowler's "Fearless Quilting:  Paint, Layer, Stitch Playshop."  After listening to Katie's amazing Creative Wonderland lecture/trunk show--I was inspired and determined to register for her workshop the next day.  Many thanks to my friend Ann for gifting me with her class spot.  In the very beginning of class, Katie reminded us that we are not here to create a masterpiece but rather have fun and experiment using the wide variety of marking products that she brought for us to try!!  This simple comment really relieved all pressure and allowed me to just have fun!!     
Creative Fun and Experimentation
Luckily there was a comprehensive kit provided by Katie, which included a handout listing the product names, PFD fabric, black felt, gelli pen and a copy of her book:  An Artists Journey Through Wonderland (which I highly recommend for all and any Artists!!)  We also had full access to the table full of mark making products to transform our PFD fabric into our own original creations!!
Kit Materials
There were two mark making products that really appealed to my style of creating:

  • Sakura Gelly Roll pens (which flowed smoothly over fabric and created crisp lines and designs)
  • Stabilo Woody Coloring Pencils (which were easy to apply and blended beautifully when used with Aloe Vera gel
I liked these two products so much that I promptly ordered a full set to add to my quilting stash!!

New Mark Making Products to Continue the Creative Fun
I had so much fun using the various products to create a small composition...but now it was time to be fearless by cutting it up!!  Yes, I contemplated skipping this step entirely...but knowing I would be cutting it up is what freed me from many of my fears (perfection and the unknown).  So before I changed my mind, I grabbed my rotary cutter and ruler and started to cut it down into 2" squares.
Time to Be Fearless!
As I started to rearrange my squares onto the black felt background, I was immediately in love with the transformation!!!  Bits of color and pattern were redistributed throughout the grid formation and exciting new combinations emerged!!  After lots of fussing and rearranging, I decided upon a final layout and fused it down prior to top stitching along each of the edges.  I could have easily finished it by adding a simple binding, but I had visions of creating a larger frame for my design.  Unsure of how best to frame my design, it became a UFO of almost 8 months.  Yesterday, I raided my stash of hand dyed fabrics and found this vibrant teal that matched some of the teal within the gridwork.  After several placement auditions, I really liked this placement and went to work quilting the entire teal quilt sandwich using Bright Orange (1133) and Light Jade (1148) Aurifil 50 weight threads.  The gridwork was bound along the top and bottom edge and then attached to the teal sandwich along the left and right sides only and reinforced with this fabulous black and white binding.  
Fearless Fun with Katie Fowler, Finishes 18" x 21"
Many thanks to Katie Fowler for...

  • Introducing me to new products and tools!!
  • Reminding me to have fun and create!!
  • Inspiring me to be fearless in my work!!
  • Recommending me to The Quilt Show!!

Comments

  1. What a great result from your workshop. I'm so glad you could take it and only sorry I couldn't be there, too. You are so brave to cut your beautiful fabric up but the resulting quilt is stunning. Congratulations. Keep up the good work with your other UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Ann!! I am so glad I cut it up and hope to be more fearless in future projects! Making great progress on some of my UFOs...hoping to knock out a few more before the new year!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!