Cherry-Go-Round

Knock! Knock! What's black & white, fun & bright and super sweet?!?  
Strike a Pose Panda
Panda says Thank you!  Thank you!  I am flattered, but I was referring to mom's latest quilt finish!!  I will let her tell you all about this fun new quilt that complements me oh so beautifully!!

Thank you Panda...I will take it from here...

Back in March 2016, I finally had the opportunity to take a workshop with the fabulous Freddy Moran.  This has been on my bucket list as I love Freddy's bold sense of color and pattern.  My fabric pull was very much inspired by Freddy and quotes from her book:  Freddy's House of Color.

  • Black & White prints: "Scrap quilts have few rules, but by using black and white, I am able to break even those rules and it works."
  • Red:  "Just an observation:  I consider red a neutral"
  • Polka Dots:  "I am addicted to polka dots.  A polka dot is the first fabric I reach for." 
My collection of cherry prints were perfect for Freddy's Dot.com pattern, as they were essentially red polka dots on mostly black & white backgrounds!!  Lime green polka dots (including some red lady bugs) add a pop of color and unity when used in each of the arcs.

Freddy Inspired Palette and Quilt Top
The curved seams were fairly easy to piece using a couple of pins here and there.  Several different layouts were explored before deciding upon this radiating design.  Interesting but something more was definitely needed.

A 1.5 year time out gave me plenty of time to mull over border treatment ideas.  A variety of 2.5" strips were cut from leftover prints to create scrappy piano key borders, with mitered corners.  Leftover strip sets were incorporated into a scrappy pieced backing (and there are quite a few strips remaining!!)
Scrappy Strips
Given all the busy prints and patterns, I kept the quilting fairly simple with lots of stippling and a few fun accents (all using Aurifil 50 weight threads):

  • Large daisy flowers were stitched into each of the circular nodes in Natural White, #2021
  • Free Motion Quilted figure-eight designs stitched into the green arcs in Grass Green, #1114
  • Lots of stippling around each of the daisy flowers and along the piano keys border in Natural White, #2021
  • Emerald (#2865) was used for top stitching the machine stitched binding


Quilting Auditions and Accents
While working on this quilt, I oftend dubbed it Cherry.com, in honor of Freddy's Dot.Com workshop.  But as I neared the finish line, an alternate quite title suddenly popped into my head...
"Cherry-Go-Round", Finishes 54" x 54"
This quilt reminds me of my many fond memories of Freddy Moran's visit:
  • Her fun & fearless sense of color!
  • Freddy's whimsical and carefree designs (Amen to glue sticks!)
  • Most importantly her warmth and fabulous sense of humor
I will close with this one final quote from Freddy Moran that really resonates with me:  "Quilting is my passion.  I feel everyone needs a passion in their life.  I think having a passion keeps us active, alive, and interesting, and interested in other people and places.  Quilting has led me to meet a fabulous group of people and to travel to wonderful parts of the world.  Quilting keeps our minds creative."

Comments

  1. Although you made the quilt in Freddy's class, it reads like a Mel quilt. Congratulations on a lovely finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann! So glad I was able to pay homage to Freddy while also incorporating a little of my own style into this fun quilt!

      Delete
  2. I love it!! Your precious pup makes the quilt "pop".
    I cannot wait to have you at our guild. Oh and I love your blog, Ive learned all sorts of techniques and tips on orgnization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Raedean. Panda is always happy to be my model and gets compensated quite well for her poses. I am so glad you are inspired by my blog posts and I am very much looking forward to my Grass Valley visit in June!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!