Adventures with Slice of Improv and a Quilt Block Scavenger Hunt

After visiting Grass Valley, I drove west to Lakeport, CA to lecture and teach for the Ladies of the Lake Quilt Guild.  What a delightful group of quilters, which included several males, contrary to their namesake.  I shared my love of quilt challenges along with some examples of Slice of Improv in anticipation of the workshop on the following day.   
Challenge Yourself! Lecture/Trunk Show with Slice of Improv Samples

During the workshop, we were having some serious improvisational fun!!  I just love seeing how quilters embrace improvisational piecing techniques and incorporate their own style and adventure into the mix!!
Slice of Improv Fun!

Once again, I was having too much fun watching all the creative energy throughout the room, that I totally neglected to take pictures of all the fabulous collections of pieced blocks!  Hopefully they will send me pictures of their finished quilts (hint hint!)

As a traveling teacher, I am always on the look out for ways to be more organized in my packing.  So I took note of one particular quilter's set up.  Check out this Flip n' Pack suitcase that has wheels and opens up to individual shelves!!  Oh the organizational possibilities!!
Flipping Out Over this Flip n' Pack

Prior to my visit, my fabulous host Jane, sent me a brochure of Lake County's Quilt Trail.  Started in 2010, there are more than 100 blocks (each 4' x 4') mounted throughout the Clear Lake region.  I arrived in town a little early, so I pulled out my map and started to explore.  What started with just a few blocks found here and there, turned into a full blown scavenger hunt!!  During my visit, I managed to photograph 18 blocks and saw several others along the way.
Blocks on Barns

Driving Along Winding Roads to Wineries Featuring Blocks

Local Airport and Airplane Blocks

Libraries with Books on Blocks

Churches, Schools and Senior Citizen Centers with Blocks

A Few More Blocks on Homes, Warehouses, Buildings, Shops and Wind Turbine Museum

Many thanks to Jane, the Ladies of the Lake Quilt Guild and Lake County for a fun-filled weekend!

Comments