South Bay Quilters Guild Intriguing Interleave Inductees


Last week, I had the absolute pleasure of visiting the South Bay Quilter Guild for a Challenge Yourself lecture and an Intriguing Interleaves workshop combo!
Two View from my Seat

My visit kicked off with spacious accommodations on my Southwest flight from San Jose down to LAX.  Yes--the Southwest gate agent made a special announcement to inform us that there would only be 60 passengers on board, and encouraged us to spread out to evenly distribute the weight!!
Rolling Out the Red Carpet Treatment

The South Bay Quilters Guild really rolled out the red carpet treatment for me!!  Melanie, my fabulous host, met me at LAX and showed me around the Torrance area.  One of the highlights was meeting Nancy Green, founder/owner/designer of contemporary purse patterns, Pink Sand Beach Designs.  Nancy graciously gave me a tour of her studio, where all the magic for her thriving business takes place.  On this particular day, she had several staff members on site helping to prepare kits for an upcoming quilt show.  Not only was I impressed by the range of designs that Nancy has created (and more in the works!!) but her business model as well!!  I look forward to meeting up with her at her booths at both Houston International Quilt Festival and Road to California!

Before the meeting, I had the chance to connect with several board members and students taking my workshop over dinner.  Kudos to my host Melanie, for staying cool after learning the chosen restaurant was closed due to plumbing issues, and the back up restaurant was also closed.  It reminded me of one of my favorite quotes:  If Plan A didn't work, there are 25 other letters in the alphabet."  Luckily the rest of the evening and guild meeting went much more smoothly!!

The next day, we headed to the local library for an Intriguing Interleaves workshop.  After I had a chance to set up, I snuck out into the library lobby to check out the Real Heroes Art Show by Fernando Del Rosario (@conceptzombie).  Each piece features an inspirational quote, surrounded by comic book strips to create a strong visual graphic.  I loved each and every piece...but will share two of my personal favorites:
"Good One" by Fernando Del Rosario (@conceptzombie)

"Step" by Fernando Del Rosario (@conceptzombie)

What an uplifting start to my day!!  Just as I was enjoying the last piece, more and more members started to arrive with their sewing machines and fabrics.
In Progress Intriguing Interleaves

What an amazing workshop venue!!  There was lots of individual workspace for each quilter, and the wall of windows provided plenty of natural light.
Keys to Success: Aurifil Thread and Delicious Lemon Bars

There were two more key ingredients to this wildly successful workshop:

  • Mini spools of Aurifil 50 weight threads--thanks Aurifil!!
  • Scrumptious lemon bars compliments of the workshop chair, Sue Glass!
Time to showcase everyone's Intriguing Interleave progress...

Berry & Teal with some Black & White Prints

There was some seasonal holiday fun...
Red, White & Blue--The Red & White Stripes Add Great Interest

Spooktacular Halloween Prints

Sophisticated Mix of Earth Tones

Fun Combination of Fairy Frost Prints

Textured Batiks Add a Fun Twist

 Vibrant Mix of Solids and Grunge Prints

Bright Batik Blenders

In the afternoon, we look at design options for Interleave quilts--including borders!  One of the quilters brought this cheerful floral print.  She used it for both her quilt back as well as inspiration for pulling fabric strips to create her interleave quilt.  We explored using it as a possible side border.  And when it came time to auditioning binding strips, we again drew inspiration from this print for a fun black and white stripe!
Drawing Interleave Inspiration From a Bold Floral Print

There have been many happy finishes sent via email since the workshop!  SBQG President, Julie was among the first to complete her Interleave quilt.  This is the second quilt she has created using this fabric palette combining berry toned solids with black & white prints.  I hope she continues with this fun quilt series!!
"Purple Helix" by Julie Limbach Jones

Jane came as a guest, and brought a rainbow of fabric strips to create this beautiful rainbow Interleave quilt.  I look forward to seeing Jane again in January at R2CA!
Rainbow Interleave by Jane Childerhose

Susan brought a lovely assortment of green prints and solids.  In the afternoon, we discuss options for embellishing Interleave quilts through applique and/or additional quilting.  Susan beautifully embellished her Interleave quilt by appliqueing on floral blooms, free motion quilting on stems and leaves and framing it with the same floral print used for the applique. 
"In the Meadow" by Susan Gibbs

What an absolutely amazing visit with the South Bay Quilters Guild!!  Many thanks again to Melanie for being such a fabulous host, Sue Glass for expertly setting up and hosting the workshop, and to the entire guild for being so incredibly welcoming and FUN!!

Here are some parting images taken at the library, leaving Torrance and exploring the LAX airport...
Design Inspiration as I Was Leaving the LA Area

Comments

  1. I always enjoy your Interleave posts, Mel. Fernando's artwork and Susan's flower applique are icing on the cake... or in this case, on the lemon bars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I really connected with Fernando's work and how it has such an important message given all that is going on in the world. And Susan's embellished Interleave is pretty fantastic indeed!! (and I am totally craving those lemon bars...Mmmm!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!