Project Quilting 10.1: Hope Springs Eternal

Last Sunday kicked off the 10th season of Project Quilting series of one-week challenges. After reading this week's challenge theme, Hope Springs Eternal, I was not feeling very hopeful that I would have the time to participate given my teaching schedule. On Saturday (the day before the deadline), a friend gave me a much needed pep talk and encouraged me to apply my creativity to this challenge.  Almost immediately, visions of stitched flowers popped into my head.  After dinner, I doodled these ideas onto paper and simplified the design slightly.  By 7:20 PM, I was in my studio and feeling much more hopeful about completing an entry.  

One of my goals this year is to use more precious fabrics, so I pulled out some of my hand dyed treasures, and a Northcott fat quarter sample from QuiltCon and got to work.    
Hand Dyed and Doodles

Two hand dyed fabrics were pieced together and slipped under the solid black fabric. Basted lines serve as a reminder of where the two colors meet underneath.
Mola Prepwork

Once my quilt sandwich was prepped, it was time to complete my wholecloth design.  A heart was cut out of paper and taped into place for outline stitching.  Loops of green grout and concrete painter's tape for the win, as black fabrics tend to repel the traditional blue painter's tape.
Paper Heart Templates

Here you can see my wholecloth design grow and start to blossom...
Hope Starting to Grow

Aurifil 50 weight threads were used to complete all the quilting: Light Jade (1148), Medium Orchid (2479), Spring Green (1231) and Dark Pewter (2630).  Once the quilting was complete, it was time to break out the seam ripper and Havel EZ thread snips for some careful cutwork reveals.
Brilliant Bloom Reveal

A coordinating Kaffe collective print was used for the quilt back and a tone on tone print used for the binding which was top stitched by machine.  
More Floral Fun Quilt Back

As I worked on this quilt, I reflect on my hopes for a more loving and compassionate world.  The kindness we share today can have a lasting impact on those around us.  Infinity loops were stitched as petals to represent this pay it forward mantra.  As I was completing the original design doodles on paper, I began to look for a quote that I might incorporate into the quilting.  As I was about to start my online search, the lyrics from Tears for Fears song "Sewing the Seeds of Love" popped into my head and thought it would make for a perfect quilt title. 
"Sewing the Seeds of Love," Finishes 17" x 19"

So with just under an hour to spare, I am linking my entry up to Project Quilting's page.  I encourage you to check out all the amazing projects created using the "Hope Springs Eternal" theme.  Be sure to vote for your favorites later today.  Hint hint--mine is # 107.

And here's to hoping I can find the time to participate in the next Project Quilting challenge which kicks off January 20th!  I hope you can join the fun!

Comments

  1. Gorgeous! I love the brights against the dark background and cutting to reveal them was inspired! The quilting is amazing and the back is so cheerful. (And now I have that song in my head...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cutwork process is such a cheap but fun thrill!! I have to remind myself to slow down and take before, during and after pictures to share the thrill! Sorry to have the song stuck in your head but hope it helps spread the love...

      Delete
  2. I love the tip about using a basting line to differentiate where the different colors are. Beautiful quilt, amazing quilting, and a lovely message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah--Happy to share some Mod Mola tips so others can see how much fun they are to incorporate into projects. Thanks for your 11th hour company as we started and finished our entries!!

      Delete
  3. A timely reminder to use the best fabric first. Lovely finish! The slanted line for the flower stems is stellar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on using up my pretties...easier said than done. Yes--this is the first time I incorporated a slanted line into my Mod Mola and I really like how it turned out!! Gives me lots of ideas for future designs!

      Delete
  4. yeah! This is wonderful - beautiful reverse applique! Thanks for sharing your process and thanks to your friend for getting you do to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim!! I am so glad I was able to keep my PQ participation streak going!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!